On to Berlin! On to Paris! July 19 1870

Larmo

Greetings Fellows

As today, July 19 2009, is the 139th anniversary of the outbreak of the Franco-German War I thought you might enjoy viewing these original images of typical French & German Infantryman of the era. This conflict was brief in time but its impact on world history was far greater than its duration would imply. It brought about the unification of Germany and the establishment of the German Empire and the destruction of the French Second Empire under Napoleon III and the rise of the French Republic.

hpqscan0001y.jpg

The CDV size images of the two French soldiers shown are typical for the time and show the basic equipment of the French Grognard and his M1866 Chassepot rifle. I've always been slightly amused by the figure on the left, he appears to be anything but a veteran. His uniform is too large, he holds his weapon in an awkward manner and he has placed his tent poles on his pack in a position sure to irritate the soldier in the file next to him. In any case he answered his country's and Emperor's call that July. The soldier on the right displays a much more determined appearance, his kit is squared away and he is alert and appears ready for anything. On a side note the photograher's name DISDERI appears at the top. Andre-Adolphe Eugene Disderi, credited with the invention of the Carte De Viste (CDV) style of photography, the Emperor himself had his image taken at Disderi's.

hpqscan0001a.jpg

The two young Prussian Infantrymen are posed with full equipment and appear to be armed with the M1862 Dreyse Needle Gun. From their white leather equipments we can determine that they belonged to one of the two Grenadier battalions of their regiment, the third battalion (Fusilier) generally wore black leather equipments. Perhaps they are reservists called to the colors and they are shown here posed with their father or older friend prior to their departure for the seat of war.

During the subsequent nine months over 2,109,950 young men such as these four would march to war with over 375,000 of them becoming casualties.

Where have all the young men gone?
long time passing
where have all the young men gone?
long time ago
gone for soldiers every one

Pete Seeger

Sorry Tony, its me Larry, Pete Seeger wrote the song..ran out of room for my name..

Glad you liked it though :salute:

Larry

Very nice pictures and comments Larmo! Two remarks though:
The term "grognard" (i.e. grumpy, from the verb "grogner", to grunt or, figuratively, to moan, complain) is normally reserved for Napoleon the first's soldiers. I have never seen it used for any other army soldier. Am I wrong?
I would assume that the civilian between the two prussian soldiers is a prisoner. This is the way prisoners and their guards were often pictured at that time.
Bruno

Hi Bruno

I picked up the term grognard while reading The Franco-Prussian War by Geoffrey Wawro, page 42 "consoling themselves with the thought France's grognards or old grumblers-grizzled veterans of the Crimean, Italian, and Mexican campaigns-would perform better than Prussias green recruits ". Warwo uses the term in context of the basic differences between France's sytem of a large standing army and the Prussian system of reservists. With the thought that the proffessional army would acquit itself better in battle than part time soldiers. I believe Wawro did a good job on his research with this book but perhaps he borrowed it from an earlier time as well. The only reference I have translated from the French is The Reality of War by Leonce Patry who served as an Infantry Officer and escaped from Metz to serve to the wars end. I checked his index and the term does not show there, perhaps I will re-read the book to possibly find its use there. Not a chore at all as the book is a good read.

As far as the comment regarding the prisoner, thats Great! and quite possibly the case as well.

Larmo

This is the way prisoners and their guards were often pictured at that time.

Cool I didn't know that! One of the civilian "terrorists"???? What a rich bunch of pictures.

Geoffrey Wawro

I really admire your Franco-Prussian war stuff as I probably know less than I should about this. Geoffrey Wawro also wrote the English language gold standard on the 1866 war. I have a great interest in that war and had to dig into it a great deal to complete this book. Even though it was a very good read I found Geoffrey Wawro to be sadly lacking in some very basic details. I don't know how he was with the Franco Prussian war. But in 1866, he didn't even list which states were on which side. Maybe I'm picky but he gave very short shrift to the campaign against the German Confederation states and to reparations. I had to seek the original Great General Staff study on the war from 1867. Do you find him lacking in the Franco Prussian war?

Hi Joe

Thanks for nice words and glad you like the FP stuff I post here although I am certainly a neophyte regarding it. I have a greater background in the American Civil War era and sort of consider this (uniforms & equipment wise) the Civil War with Spiked Helmets!

As far as Wawro's book goes I would call it a good introductory text to the subject. He certainly doesn't go into the depth of the German General Staff report, or for that matter, the two volume set, The Franco-Prussian War 1870-71 by Quintin Barry. What I really do enjoy about his book are the anecdotal references he makes to the people involved, like the Grognard comment. For me it puts a face and human element to what sometimes gets lost in the studies of Great Generals and tactics. Its what I enjoy most about this hobby, learning about the men who shouldered the rifle and marched through the fields to meet the elephant.

I've got another little project in the cooker for the 18th of August...

Larry

I've got another little project in the cooker for the 18th of August...

You really are going to like appendix D! It is amazing what came out of that from the lessons learned world. I really look forward to this project! :clock: :clock:

Sort of in keeping with these older pictures, here are three that did not make the cut into the book. The first one is dated 1864 on the back for the second Danish war, the second one is from a guy from Hanover from the 1866 war, and the third one was taken in Sedan after the 1870/71 war. Others will know more about uniforms and equipment that I.
1864.jpg

hann.jpg

sedan.jpg
:nike: :nike:

Wow Joe, simply great, I really like the way the photographer posed the Saxon soldier with the artillery projectiles at his feet and from a Sedan photographer too, doesn't get any better my friend. Great images Joe...Love'em.

Larry

Back