One of my dumber purchases

ussguppy

I know we have had some rather silly purchases, but here is one that I think is rather silly. I present to you another fabled pickelhaube stirnpanzer. I bought it many years ago when I was new to pickelhaubes and I felt like I had come across a gem at the time. I mean, the Gaede helmet was a thing, so why not this? It even has a stamp of "G4", would a fake have that?? Well, as it turns out, they make fakes all the time in Eastern Europe (commonly sold on eBay from Ukraine), but I was not wise to it at the time.

I keep it around because it is a constant reminder to really do the research before buying something. Yes, there are oddities in this field, sure. Is this one of those oddities? Probably not.

I hope this lightens up your day a little!

Gabe

Attachments

• 044A0043.JPG
    044A0043.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 044A0058.JPG
    044A0058.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 044A0056.JPG
    044A0056.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 044A0053.JPG
    044A0053.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 044A0050.JPG
    044A0050.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 38
  • 044A0049.JPG
    044A0049.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 044A0047.JPG
    044A0047.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 044A0044.JPG
    044A0044.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for sharing Gabe,
It is really well made & aged, not illogical to think it could be real.
I've bought a couple of fake items in my time, but luckily none of them high value; I'll see if I can find some pictures.
Regards,
Lars

We have all been there...back in the day my first ever m16 cammo was bought on the strength of surely they wouldn't fake these ! turned out to be an Irish helmet from 1927 made by Vickers. I found out by looking at the liner and seeing the 1927 date with the liner makers details from Dublin :ROFLMAO:

We have all been there...back in the day my first ever m16 cammo was bought on the strength of surely they wouldn't fake these ! turned out to be an Irish helmet from 1927 made by Vickers. I found out by looking at the liner and seeing the 1927 date with the liner makers details from Dublin :ROFLMAO:
But at least it was an original Irish helmet. I have one and love it!

You know I’ve seen pickelhauben pictures with these plates on them some extending down past the face with little eye holes like some sort of a facial protection mask. I have also seen pictures of stalhelms with similar things. It looked like the Stalhelm sniper plates but they extend past the face. I don’t know if only a hand full exist or it’s bologna. Did they really make these for pickhauben?

You know I’ve seen pickelhauben pictures with these plates on them some extending down past the face with little eye holes like some sort of a facial protection mask. I have also seen pictures of stalhelms with similar things. It looked like the Stalhelm sniper plates but they extend past the face. I don’t know if only a hand full exist or it’s bologna. Did they really make these for pickhauben?
I have never seen a picture of a pickelhaube with any kind of a face shield or browplate on it, in a book or online. Do you think you could provide the images? I would be interested to see. I never knew them to have made any kind of shield for a pickelhaube. It would be neat if maybe they did at some point, maybe experimental or something.

Here is a picture from Oliver Lock's book on WW1 stahlhelm. There are a few pictures in it as well. These would have been private purchase stuff, but either way, not commonly used.
1000010260.jpg

Lol this guy must be making a fortune. I saw 2 stalhelms on ebay with this each listed for USD around $1200

Thats why its important for members here who know better to try and get the word out, if enough collectors become educated and spread the word we can shut this crap down.

That would be to the benefit of everyone, somethings are easy to tell but some are not and once a fake enters a collection it makes it harder eradicate.

Last edited:
Back