Only 3 are left

911car

Rene Riffaud, one of the last Frenchmen who fought in the Great War, died today at the age of 107.

Only 2 left in Cnada or is it 3??? One of which never really made it to France I believe. They all have been offered State Funerals recently. God, they will be saying that about me some day..."He founded the famous Pickelhuabes.com Forum site" Just remember boys you can't take them with you. I have never seen a U Haul loaded with pickelhauben following a hearse!! Lets live for the moment gentlemen and enjoy this while we still can. Sorry guys, once you reach 50 you start thinking about this stuff. Brian

brian there are 3 WW1 vets left in Canada.All were under age during the war .There is one here in Oshawa .
Only the last one will get the State Funeral
I also thought there was 1 American who served in the CEF.
! Canadian Veteran Living in Spokane Washington.
Here is an updated list of World Surviving List.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_Veterans_of_the_First_World_War

Mark.

Yikes...
Thats too bad... I wanted to go to the vimy memorial this April for its 90th anniversary, but parents objected because they said "too many crowds at that time". Little do they know that I WANT the people, although there will probably not be any vets there...
One guy I would LOVE to meet is this guy:

Meier, Robert (German)
Born March 10, 1897
Served in German Infantry from 1915. Oldest living German man. Veteran of the Somme, Reims and Saint Quentin. Was wounded at Chemin des Dames. Also a WWII veteran.

The oldest French vet died last Nov 10, day before Remembrance day... :cry:

Andrew

Don't Feel Bad your parents are right . All available places to stay are booked for a 200 mile radious . I have a friend who is attending as his Honey moon ,but booked the trip 3 years ago .
Passhendale is also this year a 90th not all Canadian Vet's were at Vimy but almost all were at Passhendale . There are alot of re-enactments planned for that Anniverary .
A Canadian Living in Spokane Washington is stil living ( at last report) maybe Dad or MOM would take you on a car trip.
Mark

Thanks! I had a few relatives in WWI. Two in Passchendaele, the same two in Vimy, and another who was K.I.A. in 1915, from the Canadian First Contingent- His brother signed up just a month before he died, mabye not the smartest choice.

Andrew

b.loree said:
.... Lets live for the moment gentlemen and enjoy this while we still can. Sorry guys, once you reach 50 you start thinking about this stuff. Brian

YIKES! :eek: I turn 50 next month! Lol. It's aways sad when veterans die, or anybody with good life experiences to relate for that matter. We'll miss them all.
I feel fortunate to have known dozens of WWI vets and many more WWII vets.

Ron

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Read about the 90th anniversary if Vimy Ridge contest:

www.themilitarymuseums.ca

Being an amateur composer, I am going to enter the son category, which is probably the section with the least entries anyway! Now comes the hard part: winning. A free trip to the battlefields of Europe is all the motivation ill ever need!!! :lol: :lol:

Andrew

I know... I have had it on my mind since the beginning of the month... song is now composed and software is linked up to enable me to play the piece and have the sheet music print off. That should take place tomorrow, which will then leave only the words- I emailed the contest's organizers and they said it would be OK for me to use reflective text as opposed to actual lyrics, whew. It was actually a lot more work than expected, but so long as the music printing goes as planned tomorrow, I should be in a good position.
:)
Andrew

Back