Open-backed chinscales on early helmets

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
b.loree said:
I have only seen stapled scales in all of my collecting career.

Have a look at this Brian. This is an issued M1867 Sachsen Reiter Raupenhelme for Reiter Regt 1. The chinscales are sewn to thick leather and open at the rear. Nothing is missing, this is as issued. This pattern of backing is also found on the M1845/48 Bayern Raupenhelme chinscales. Cool huh?

dbh50h.jpg

Tony: I also have a Model 1867 Saxon 1st. Schwere Reiter Raupenhelme, 3rd squadron, dated 1873 with exactly the same sewn chinscale configuration as the one you pictured.

Reservist1

Thanks for the pic T very nice. Can you imagine spending your days sewing chin scales?? Hmmmm when was the "staple" invented??? Brian

b.loree said:
Hmmmm when was the "staple" invented??? Brian

You see, therein lies our fallacy. My problem is that I try to place one accepted rule to all states of the German Federation. But different states used different methods. Right from 1842 I would suggest there is a good chance Preußen chinscales used metal staples. I have seen staples in the backs of M1860 and M1871 chinscales. So I believe this sewn configuration appears to be something that can be attributed to at least two Kingdoms, Bayern and Sachsen, and probably more.

And thank you Reservist1 (as if that is your REAL name sir!) :wink: that is exactly what I expected. The same sewn configuaration.

It could also be manufacturers getting rid of old stock. Much as we would like to have hard and fast rules in this pickelhauben game. I think that it is obvious there are bound to be exceptions. Brian

Hi Tony, Brian.

Thank you. As always, knowledgeable and well-founded.

My learning continues.

Cheers,

Laurie

You see, therein lies our fallacy. My problem is that I try to place one accepted rule to all states of the German Federation.

An excellent point, Tony! I think we all susceptible to that pitfall. Standardization has become such a part of our lives that we tend to forget that it is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Back