Opinion about Preußen (Hannoverian) Dragoner Regt 9 Pickelhaube

Richard, I would let it as it.
There are two opposite opinions about how those old things have to look like.
Some collectors want to have them as they were, shiny and clean. Other collectors do not want to change anything from the old patina, because this is a part of the helmets story too...And this mostly is the proof that the helmet is still untouched and that nothing on ist has been moved on or off, or manipulated at some time.
Philippe
Philippe there is a third paradigm that I adhere to.

Everything gets a thorough dusting with a vacuum. Just to clean out decades of post-war dust and tiny dead animals.

Everything gets a thorough dusting with a vacuum. Just to clean out decades of post-war dust and tiny dead animals.
Thank you for your intervention Tony. I know this isn't the first time I've broached the subject. I will take your opinion about the matter into account.

I agree with that. When discovered in a cellar or attic, rat or pigeon droppings are not part of the history of the helmet with a capital H. It's a hygiene problem.

Un autre beau casque d'AOK.
Je pense aussi que tout va bien dessus, même si je l'aurais préféré, vu le prix, avec un cachet DR9 clair.
Philippe
Mine is not an M94 (with post-side), nor an M97 (with Reichskokarde on the right) nor an M99 (with banners) but an M60/67. Not used during WW1 but during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, during the encirclement of Metz.
It shows a nominette stuck inside.

DR 9 M60 avt 99.jpgDR 9 M60 nominatif.jpg

Mine is not an M94 (with post-side), nor an M97 (with Reichskokarde on the right) nor an M99 (with banners) but an M60/67. Not used during WW1 but during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, during the encirclement of Metz.
It shows a nominette stuck inside.

View attachment 41219View attachment 41220
Very beautiful Dragoon helmet from the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71.

As a complement to your helmet: this photo from my collection showing a cavalryman from a Dragoon regiment. Probably from the "2. Hannoverisches Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 16" (Nordheim, Einbeck) X. Armeekorps. Photographed in Beauvais (France) in 1871.

Attachments

• 51339558803_8919d96656_k.jpg
    51339558803_8919d96656_k.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back