Opinion Please on New Headgear Reference Template

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Could I ask you guys what you think of this template for my new cloth headgear reference? [-o< The reference pages will have separate pages for:

Evolution of the Imperial German Krätchen and Schirmmütze;
Colored drawings of all known types of pre-1914 Dunkelblau and post-1910 Feldgrau cloth headgear for all arms;
Tradition Badges worn on Imperial German cloth headgear, such as Totenkopf (skull), Edelweiß, Beamte etc; and
E or Eigentum (property) Stamps in headgear.

JB14.jpg

Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Jäger-Batl.Nr.14 (Colmar i.E.) XV Armee Korps
Does the Schirmmütze look good?

Hi Tony:

As a graphic representation of a Schirmmütze, I think it's just about perfect. Are you able to flatten the Teller a bit?

Chas.

Tony- this looks great, I can hardly wait to see the whole finished product!

Thanks for doing this

James

Tony,

This is great! All of the references I've ever seen the pictures of the caps are so small.........finally something big enough that I can see everything clearly!!!!!!! :thumb up:

Tony

Very cool project. I'm sure these are prototypes, but will you add in the state and national cockades? Also, in the final product, I presume the piping will be corrected (ie. no band color above upper piping and the band piping below the lower piping will be changed to the color of the"schirm" portion of the cap). I would also suggest that even if the band and piping are the same, still show the upper piping and show the schirm color below the band.

Dave

dave mosher said:
//will you add in the state and national cockades?//
Thought hard about that, my plan is to not place Kokarden on the caps, as in the example below, it was worn by two Preußen Dragoner Regts and one Württembergisches Dragoner Regt. With Kokarden, I would have to place two caps on the page. For Infantry it would go on and on with the same colors. So I was going to focus on placing one only of each color combination.

dave mosher said:
//I presume the piping will be corrected (ie. no band color above upper piping and the band piping below the lower piping will be changed to the color of the"schirm" portion of the cap)//
Oops! Got carried away with the fill color. I have removed the band visible above the top band piping (drawing mistake), and grouped the lower edge cloth below the lower band piping to be the same color as the top of the cap. Is that better?

dave mosher said:
//I would also suggest that even if the band and piping are the same, still show the upper piping and show the schirm color below the band.//
Good idea Dave, as the bottom of the band normally does not have piping if the cap band and piping are the same color. I have done this with the example below. Better? Once I get approval here on the template, I will start hammering out the caps for the reference. How does this look now?

test3.jpg

Worn by:
Edited out. We'll call this a test!

Tony- this is awesome as I stated before.

For a guy like myself that has numerous caps, and does not have a clue what most of them are, this will be very helpful.

thanks again

James

Tony

I really like what you have done! I'm not sure if this is the case on the pre-war caps, but on the feldgrau caps where the piping and band are the same, only the top (upper) piping is used. Also, your reference would become incredibly useful for cap collectors if you are true to the actual colors. Be very careful with your shades of yellow, red, pink and blue for your cavalry units. IMO the yellow you show above is a "zitonengelb" used on DR21 and DR4 for pre-war caps. A "goldgelb" was used for DR8, DR16, DR26, GUR1, GUR3, UR11, UR15 and UR20.

Regards

Dave

dave mosher said:
//Be very careful with your shades of yellow, red, pink and blue for your cavalry units. IMO the yellow you show above is a "zitonengelb"//

You are correct of course. Just learning the program....OK...think I got the yellow right this time. Above would be zitonengelb (lemon yellow) and below would be goldgelb (gold yellow).

DR8.jpg

Excellent T!! As usual, you are working on providing us with another tremendous reference resource. I bet some of the older collectors are wishing that this sort of information had been available 10-20 yrs ago. Talk about collecting in the dark back then!! The prices were better but who knew what they were buying?? Brian

Here is a first glance, each color combination of cap will have its own page. The thumbnails will be smaller (250 pixels wide), but they will all link to a page as below:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ht/farben/ir92.htm

T

Just fantastic!!!

I have a question, Why are there 2 different styles of skull & cross bones? Just to differentiate rank?

Geo

Looks pretty fantastic to me. A huge amount of work but a tremendous reference that doesn't exist. I do not collect colored hats...... I do not collect colored hats.... I do not collect colored hats...... I am not tempted by colored hats...... I am not tempted by colored hats....... I did not collect books...... I did not collect pictures...... I am not tempted by colored hats...... tremendous work.

Unbelievable, Tony! Simply fantastic, there aren't enough adjectives to describe this.....................

Wyliecoyote said:
//Why are there 2 different styles of skull & cross bones? Just to differentiate rank?//

In 1912, the Braunschweig pattern Totenkopf was authorized to be worn by two regiments: Braunschweigisches Husaren-Regt. Nr.17 and Braunschweigisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.92. Unlike the Preußen Leib-Husaren pattern Totenkopf which was identical for all ranks, the Braunschweig pattern Totenkopf came in two distinct patterns: a flat issued pattern and a three-dimensional private-purchase pattern.

I have a full reference page on tradition badges almost completed for this guide to cloth headgear. TONS of great photos. Wait............

HR1.jpg

Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.1 Danzig/Langfuhr) XVII Armee Korps

Great work. this will help ,us the great unwashed with the identity of war time wnd prewar color's . Great work.
Mark :wav:

Back