Opinions please on this Garde du Korps Officer Helmet

ww1czechlegion

Hi Everyone,

This helmet came straight out of the woodwork here in Iowa back in the early 1990's. It was brought back by a WW2 U.S. soldier from Germany. It has only been owned by one collector since purchased from the veteran.

I have a chance to purchase it. Since I'd seen it last, about 13-yrs ago, the leather sweatband has developed "dry-rot", and has mostly deteriorated. The inner support band which would hold a sweatband is intact inside the helmet. The black velvet lining under the rear visor is pulled slightly loose. The silk lining has been absent since before the helmet was aquired by the present owner.

Enamel is perfect on the guard star, with no cracks or chips.

I understand that there may be a slight crack on one of the eagle's legs/claw area (which doesn't show in the pics), and also the back seam of the tail area is coming undone a little bit. Again, neither of these problems are visible in the pics that a friend of mine took last fall.

Please excuse the fuzziness of some of the pics, as a friend took them for me.

First and foremost I'd like to hear some feedback/opinions on the helmet.

Second, I'd really like to hear by private e-mail what a fair market value would be for both parties (seller, and me as a buyer). I'm asking this, as I don't know how much of an adjustment to make because of the liner condition. I realize this (value/pricing) subject is not openly discussed here on the forum, so please, by all means, send me a private e-mail at [email protected]. Any guidance in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Alan Schaefer

GardeduKorps6.jpg

GardeduKorps5.jpg

GardeduKorps4.jpg

GardeduKorps2.jpg

GardeduKorps1.jpg

GardeduKorps7.jpg

GardeduKorps3.jpg

GardeduKorps8.jpg

Alan,

The rumor mill has it that you own this wonderful helmet now. If that is so, I just thought I would remind you that I am here on Father's Day–being your elder and all hoping that you will decide to give it to me as a Father's Day present.–it could happen! :? :? :?

Back