Opinions Please

JohnM

I just got this Tschako and it seems to me the wappen is a bit small. Any opinions? The nuts on the back of the wappen look untouched.

Thanks,

John

newbatch001aa.jpg

newbatch002a.jpg

newbatch003a.jpg

Hi John:

If you can return the "Tschako," get rid of it ASAP. I'm afraid it is haplessly wrong. That Wappen, most likely an electroformed replica, would be the correct size for an other ranks Tropenhelm.

Sorry, but the helmet is a very grotty fraud. The seam running up the front of the helmet should not there, and the side vents are the wrong style. The Feldzeichen may possibly be original.

Here is a larger picture of mine.

PICT0001.jpg

Chas. :(

Ugh!!! I was afraid of this...

Chas, do you feel the whole helmet is a fake or just the wappen?

Hi John:

I believe the entire helmet is fake. Critical areas to consider are:

1. The top of your helmet has the wrong shape.
2. The rear visor should have a green paper panel sewn to its underside and there should be a corresponding welt stitched to the outside edge of that visor.
3. There should be leather reinforcements (just like a Pickelhaube's) where the chinscale Rosetten attach).

I'm !00% certain you have a lemon.

Chas.

It looks like the felt has been glued on. I have this exact pattern front plate in aluminum with split prongs for attaching to an enlisted Tropenhelm. As far as I know, that is the only legitimate use of this particular plate.

Chip

Back