Opinions Please

derekbird

Hi Everyone,

This was found during the clearance of my friends uncles house, what do you think, I am the furthest thing from being an expert but I have been looking, could it be a "One Year Volunteer" or an "Officer Candidate"?
The front pf the liner appears to have been darkened by perspiration.
Thought that I should add; the brass appears to have been gilt and is very evident on the helmet plate.
Regards,
Derek.

Attachments

• Prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (4).JPG
    Prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (4).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • Prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (6).JPG
    Prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (6).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
  • Prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (10).JPG
    Prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (10).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
  • prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (19).JPG
    prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (19).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • Prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (9).JPG
    Prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (9).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
  • prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (21).JPG
    prussian Pickelhaube 03042022 (21).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The helmet has all the characteristics of a private purchase officer helmet except for the liner. The spike, wappen, kokarden, spine, interior etc are all Officer. The liner could simply have been a personal choice of the person who bought it originally. In my opinion, there are too many Officer appointments here to describe this as OYV, or Officer candidate. Their helmets usually lack some officer fittings for example, no stars, OR’s kokarden and wappen.It is a very nice helmet in very good condition from what I can see.

I‘m sorry but think it is a parts-helmet. It is reworked in my eyes and maybe puzzled together. The visor trim is wider than it should be for an officer helmet and is longer then the pin. The spike is also not for officers, it is missing the pierced ring.

The helmet has all the characteristics of a private purchase officer helmet except for the liner. The spike, wappen, kokarden, spine, interior etc are all Officer. The liner could simply have been a personal choice of the person who bought it originally. In my opinion, there are too many Officer appointments here to describe this as OYV, or Officer candidate. Their helmets usually lack some officer fittings for example, no stars, OR’s kokarden and wappen.It is a very nice helmet in very good condition from what I can see.
Brian,
Thankyou.
I have now had the opportunity to examine the Pickelhaube very closely, it is extremely well put together, the workmanship is top notch, all the fastenings appear not to have been touched or undone whatsoever, and all appear uniform.
Regards,
Derek.

To my eye a new liner has been put in and the front and rear peaks resewn . Looks like the front trim was shortened? Perhaps you could add a photo of the whole of the inside. Rob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 11.50.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 11.50.51 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

This was found during the clearance of my friends uncles house, what do you think, I am the furthest thing from being an expert but I have been looking, could it be a "One Year Volunteer" or an "Officer Candidate"?
The front pf the liner appears to have been darkened by perspiration.
Thought that I should add; the brass appears to have been gilt and is very evident on the helmet plate.
Regards,
Derek.
May I ask why you are interested in this helmet? Buy it? Sell it?

Hi Derek,

The fact that the liner, the inside of the peaks and (if I see correctly) the inside of the shell are covered in brown (shoe?) polish gives me a bad feeling, as I have seen that used before in an attempt to make a repro helmet pass as original. And the liner that looks distinctly brown on the outside of the helmet is something that I don't like either, but maybe members with more officer helmet experience can correct me on that.

Regards,

Lars

911car, As I said the helmet belongs to my friend, so it isn't mine to sell.
My friend is undecided whether to keep the helmet or to see if his grandson would like it.
I only have a passing interest in Pickelhauben, I have a Kurassier helmet and A Prussian Pioneer helmet, which I bought a long time ago, my main interest is in antique British Ordnance Flintlock and Percussion lock guns.
I have just received these two photos from Malcolm who owns the helmet.
D.

Attachments

• Pickelhaube 04042022 1.jpg
    Pickelhaube 04042022 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • Pickelhaube 04042022 2.jpg
    Pickelhaube 04042022 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
911car, As I said the helmet belongs to my friend, so it isn't mine to sell.
My friend is undecided whether to keep the helmet or to see if his grandson would like it.
I only have a passing interest in Pickelhauben, I have a Kurassier helmet and A Prussian Pioneer helmet, which I bought a long time ago, my main interest is in antique British Ordnance Flintlock and Percussion lock guns.
I have just received these two photos from Malcolm who owns the helmet.
D.
Thank you for these details. I share the concerns mentioned by Sandy, Lars, aicusv... This helmet is nothing that can be clearly identified, and many parts are more than suspect, if not obviously wrong: liner, visors and trim, spike, chinscale "rosettes"...
Perhaps a good basis, and some original parts, but "doctored" at some point. This configuration would indicate a helmet for a Train unit, and these were known to adhere loosely to regulations... but it still would be of little value for collectors, unless you can find a layman to buy it because, as Brian wrote, it is in good condition and looks good. Perhaps something to be kept by your friend as a nice decorative object...

Some good points have been made, I missed the problems with the liner. I am also wondering about the leather chin strap for the scales...it looks too thick and new to me. It should be thin and only dyed on one side if original. My apologies Derek for being too quick in giving my opinion.

I have passed on your comments, he has asked me if I want it, I don't so it looks like his grandson will get the option, but somehow I don't think that he will want it, I don't know of any youngsters who would.

Hi Derek,
I'm sorry that the news wasn't better, nobody wants to hear that. But there are still some original parts of value for sale. If I were your friend and nobody of my family wants the helmet, I would offer it on ebay (but please not as an untouched original).

Thanks Sandman
I will pass on your advice, but I don’t think he does eBay, and I wouldn’t know how either.
D

We do have a for sale section here on the forum. With a clear description of the problems and a full picture of the liner plus the rest of the photos someone might want to buy it here for a reasonable price.

Thank you everyone for your help, I have spoken to my friend and I have asked him to mention to his son that I will give him some cash for the helmet if he would prefer that.
I have some pictures of another Pickelhaube that is up for grabs that I will put details on another post.
D.

Back