Original M15 Restoration/Conversion

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Those of us who have been collecting for a long time and have handled hundreds of helmets know that many M15 helmets were in fact converted/repurposed M95's. The brass fittings were stripped off, including the grommets and replaced by feldgrau/grey painted steel fittings. Recently, I purchased such a helmet and discovered that it could be used here as a great example of how helmets were recycled by the Imperial Army. The Prussians were very serious about saving money whenever possible. The following pictures of my new M15 Prussian helmet prove this:

The helmet came with an original spike, chinstrap and cockades but these have been taken off. From the front, it looks like the typical M15.

Then we take off the wappen......looks like some extra work has been done to the shell.

Obviously, some work has been done on the shell...holes have been filled in. These tells us that there was a different set of grommets/holes in this shell. These are original "fixes", they were done during WW1, they are not modern. They testify to the brass shortage and the conversion of M95 helmets, either damaged or otherwise, being converted and repaired to M15's. To be continued....

Now lets take a look inside the shell:

Original thin black leather patches reinforce the "new" steel grommets that were put in.

This photo shows that there is an extra set of empty stitch holes along the front rim of the helmet shell. Now we know, that a new visor was also part of the Army's restoration.

Again, a picture of the rear visor shows an extra stitch line. This indicates that the visor is not original to the helmet. Both front and rear visors are replacements, the brass grommets were removed, holes patched up and new steel grommets installed. New M15 fittings were then put on and the helmet was reissued.

Very interesting.

I have one that is very similar. My first Pickelhaube, given to me by a father of a friend. I've always been very grateful to him, as having a Pickelhaube to look at and compare with helped me to avoid fakes when I bought subsequent ones online.

It shows the same plugs and patches for the grommets, the shell was shortened, and new Vulkanfiber Vorder- and Hinterschirm were stitched on. The stitching of the previous Ohrenleder is still visible on the inside, and shows that the shell wasn't shortened equally on both sides. When resting the helmet on the visors the rear visor keeps the helmet level, and it becomes clear that the front visor has been stitched on crooked. To finish it off, the Knopf on the left is steel, and the one on the right is made of some sort of alloy. Not quite up to the standard of Pickelhaube manufacturers :wink:

At least the men responsible nicely stamped the rear visor with B.J.A. XVIII.f. (Bekleidungs Instandsetzungs-Amt XVIII, feldbrauchbar)

Regards, Lars

PS. I guess some previous owner greased the helmet, as it has white fungus all over

34764140166_12dfda9deb_c.jpg

Crooked Vorderschirm

34764140106_e355b83b23_c.jpg

Patches inside plugged holes

34764139946_8fcd677e51_c.jpg

Inside right Ohrenleder

34764139806_acc897d93b_c.jpg

Inside left Ohrenleder

34764139726_6fa1f95e89_c.jpg

Left Knopf alloy

34764139516_3716ef2d2b_c.jpg

Right Knopf steel