Original or Not?

SkipperJohn

I know very little about these, and what little I do know is from Napoleonic pieces.
Is this a proper 1890's model?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPERIAL-GERMAN-PRUSSIAN-GRENADIER-MITRE-HELMET-1894-ORIGINAL-/232533340754?hash=item3624113252:g:XrEAAOSw6GJZ7OJd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am concerned that the chinscales are brass instead of silver, and I am more than a little concerned about where it is from.

John :?

I know nothing about these John, we need Steve Mc to chime in here or some other member with expertise. The scale are convex instead of flat so that is one red flag. Years ago there was an individual in the UK who was faking these and a lawsuit resulted when one of our members decided to pursue the matter in the courts and get his money back.

b.loree said:
I know nothing about these John, we need Steve Mc to chime in here or some other member with expertise. The scale are convex instead of flat so that is one red flag. Years ago there was an individual in the UK who was faking these and a lawsuit resulted when one of our members decided to pursue the matter in the courts and get his money back.

I looked at the section about mitres in the forum, but all of the photos have been hijacked by photobucket, so I have nothing to compare to.
This piece looks legit, but since I know nothing about them, I will have to get advice here before I even think about a purchase.

John :?

The lining and interior construction look off to me. I’m no expert, but it’s different than all mine. The chinscales should be flat silver. Good luck finding an original set of them.
Steve

I have no idea if this is a good one or not, but a while back there were some postings here about a guy in the UK faking these. There are at least two miters for sale on Ebay now from the UK. :-k

I don't have a clue but in general anything that is from the UK is considered suscipious a priori by many.

Regards,

Edwin

All of the original ones I've seen have had a lining with square ended tongues...I'd be suspicious of this one...

Seller sold a fake tin haube a couple of weeks ago, he started off with fake cammo on original tin helmets has obviously cranked it up a gear, I know nothing about these but I wouldn't trust the seller.

horseguards said:
Prime example of shill bidding; 55 bids ( !! ) at this point.

I'm not one of them!
I don't know anything about these, but the little research I have done shows this to be questionable --- to say the least!

John [-(

I think that it ended up with about 66 bids
One bidder had at least 22 bids
ended at 679 GBP
or aprox $ 890.00 U S Dollars
per EBay

The scale straps were wrong ; they should be silver and flat .
There was no puschel
as I told Brian without seeing it in person
it did otherwise look correct to me

I sent Brian a photo showing my 2 officers 1 Garde Regt. zu Fuss
miters . One red bag for Grenadiers ; the other yellow bag for Fusiliers
I also have 1 e m Fusilier miter not in the photo
These were the so called "new silver front miters " some given out to certain Batls.
by the Kaiser himself . Up until then they wore the brass miters which were
handed down to the KAGGR # 1

Steve McFarland

Back