Original Owner

Stu2067

I recently purchased a Prussian Officers PickelHaube in Bavaria and it bears a name inside the back visor.

Im wondering if this is the original owners name or some later name put on it. I would love to find out if this is the original owners name, because I cannot see any other markings declaring which unit the helm may belong.

Curiously, waiting your great knowledge, thanks in advance.

Stuart

Welcome to pickelhaubes.com! Wow, member 152.

What is the name on the helmet? Could you post pics of the name and of the helmet. We have members who can probably help you in your quest but they need more info, pics will help, but if you can tell us what type helmet, what state the helmet is from?, it would help.

Once again Welcome, you have come to a great place!

Wyliecoyote said:
Welcome to pickelhaubes.com! Wow, member 152.

What is the name on the helmet? Could you post pics of the name and of the helmet. We have members who can probably help you in your quest but they need more info, pics will help, but if you can tell us what type helmet, what state the helmet is from?, it would help.

Once again Welcome, you have come to a great place!

I make Geo's words, my words.
Otto

moortz8xt.jpg

Stu I filtered your image a bit I hope you do not mind. Glenn will have to look to see if he can find the name in the Prussian lists. This "feels" like and owner's name.

Welcome Stu:
Nice Prussian officer helmet. There should be someone here who can look that name up on the officer rank lists. It is always great to have a named piece of militaria. Brian

I am sorry to say that I do not think the name Neidel is that of the original owner (wearer).

No pre war regular or reserve officer of that name in the Prussian Army. No wartime regular commissioned officer ditto. I have similarly not come across any reserve officer of that name.

Regards
Glenn

Thank You Glenn for your search. Why anybody would put their own name on an original piece of history, dumbfounds me.

Stuart

Hey Stuart,
There are a lot of reasons that someone may have written their name on the helmet, you have to remember that at the time the name was written, it was not likely a bit of history, it could be the name of the soldier that souvenired the helmet, or the name of the first collector to own it, at any rate, I do not think it detracts from the helmet.
Best wihses
Gus

Stu

Moritz is a German name, and it is the German form of MAURICE.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?nmd=n&terms=Moritz

Geo

Back