Ottoman Steel Helmet

Saw this guy come up for auction recently. What do you all think? The liner looks suspect to me, and the paint shows little sign of age. Also no sure why the the ottoman cypher would be painted on the inside?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6210.png
    IMG_6210.png
    819.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6211.png
    IMG_6211.png
    780.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6212.png
    IMG_6212.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6213.png
    IMG_6213.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
I can't wait to see it! Also really interested to see everyone's thoughts on this helmet.

Have a close look at the rim of the helmet you will immediately notice how even the edge is which is a clear sign of it being cut into this shape not stamped.

My opinion is the same as Peters made from M16, hand cut down by someone with a shaky hand o_O

Aswell with what has been said, I will also add that the Paint job looks rather crude. Not awful, but yet not nice enough to cry originality. It was, as said, most likely a cut down M16 that received a makeup job.

While I can’t really comment on the authenticity of the shell, mostly because I’m not familiar with how they were manufactured, I feel like the ottoman marking is just a feeble attempt to pass the helmet off as real. I think whoever put it there was trying too hard to convince people that it’s the real deal, kinda like those artificially aged WWII German helmets you can find online. Also, of the few original ottoman helmets I’ve seen, none have had such a marking.

Last edited:
Back