Overshine

911car

I have purchased an enlisted spiked helmet of outstanding condition and rarity. Only problem: brass and silver fittings were previously outrageously polished. I was waiting for metal surfaces to naturally tarnish and this glow to dim, as normally happens in a few weeks/months; however, this does not seem to occur. I heard that some spray lacquer on polished metal to prevent tarnishing; I was wondering whether anyone on the forum has experience with this practice, and knows how such chemical protection can be safely removed...
Many thanks in anticipation.

Bruno the idiotic advice to shine and buff and then lacquer how much came from the last chapter of Johansson’s book Pickelhauben. Stupidest advice ever. Countless helmets were screwed up from that ridiculous advice.

Because it’s a Metalhelm it’s far more easier than if it was a leather helmet. As Arran said you need to have a small bowl of lacquer thinner, (do not use paint stripper, which completely different). Then have another small bowl of acetone. Then get a bunch of cotton swabs from your local drugstore and then get some latex gloves. Do you know any doctors? (Hah Hah Hah!)

Rub a small test area first with a pad dipped in lacquer thinner and it should hopefully come off easily. Then immediately clean that area with another cotton pad dipped in acetone to remove the remover. If all proceeds well, continue for the entire helmet. Remove - clean - repeat. A small bit at a time.

If the lacquer thinner isn’t doing it, buy a container of lacquer remover and try that.

Johansson also suggested doing chin scales and spikes and the Wappens which are far more difficult. This guy destroyed more Imperial Pickelhauben than the 1st US Marine Division.

Last edited:
Bruno the idiotic advice to shine and buff and then lacquer how much came from the last chapter of Johansson’s book Pickelhauben. Stupidest advice ever. Countless helmets were screwed up from that ridiculous advice.

Because it’s a Metalhelm it’s far more easier than if it was a leather helmet. As Arran said you need to have a small bowl of lacquer thinner, (do not use paint stripper, which completely different). Then have another small bowl of acetone. Then get a bunch of cotton swabs from your local drugstore and then get some latex gloves. Do you know any doctors? (Hah Hah Hah!)

Rub a small test area first with a pad dipped in lacquer thinner and it should hopefully come off easily. Then immediately clean that area with another cotton pad dipped in acetone to remove the remover. If all proceeds well, continue for the entire helmet. Remove - clean - repeat. A small bit at a time.

If the lacquer thinner isn’t doing it, buy a container of lacquer remover and try that.

Johansson also suggested doing shin scales and spikes and the Wappens which are far more difficult. This guy destroyed more Imperial Pickelhauben than the 1st US Marine Division.
Tony,
Sound advice on the removal of lacquer from pickelhauben. Use lemon or lime juice to clean the metal for those who might venture toward cleaning metal while protecting the leather. However, I would leave it alone or use just a water and vinegar solution, 7 to 3 ratio to clean dirt, cigarette tar.

Historical note: In World War One, U.S. Marines served in the 2nd Division (Regulars & Marines) of the American Expeditionary Forces. They were the 4th Brigade (Marine) composed of the 5th and 6th Marine Regiment and 6th Machine Gun Battalion. The 1st MARDIV, aka 1st Marine Division, came into existence during World War Two.
An excellent Web site for the 2nd Division is: https://2nd-division.com/

Best regards,
John

Thank you all for your suggestions! And special thanks to Tony for all these details. The said helmet is made of leather (Mecklenburg Fusilier), not metal, and hence great care must be taken when cleaning metal fittings. I will make an attempt on an inconspicuous area, such as the inner aspect of the visor trim.

Back