paint/finish on m15 Bavarians wappens

Is it just me or did somebody else noticed it also that most Bavarian m15 pickelhaubes lose the paint on the hardware (spikes, helmplates)?
I might be wrong, but in my opinion i see alot more Bavarian m15's without paint then i see the same thing with Prussian or other m15's.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

It must not be absolutely paint....This was mostly chemical surface treatment...There was a great variation of grey tones and probably various treatments...Some which were more durable, others not...

Philippe
:wink:

I always wondered about that myself, Pickelhaube. I have mostly seen a "parkerized" or similar finish on these steel parts, but they usually still have a fair amount of the finish on the back of the wappen. I always figured that having a sopping wet cotton cover over the steel parts during the war had a lot to do with the lack of finish. The tiny "52" and lower sizes usually have a lot of finish left, but i always assumed they never got issued; hence their good condition. Plus, Bavaria had fewer troops, so likely not as many examples to look at. My two cents, and likely worth about that much...

I've changed the title of this topic into "paint/finish on m15 Bavarian wappens".

I keep finding it strange that most Bavarian m15's i encounter have lost most of their finish while i don't see that with other m15's. and most do have their finish on the back of the wappens.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Does anyone know what the finish was on the M'15 fittings and how it was applied? I've always assumed it to be a chemical treatment that the parts where bathed in. But, what chemicals?

Back