Paperweight

Hallibag

I found this item (paperweight?) at a yard sale held by the family of a man who had been a fighter pilot in the German Luftwaffe during WW2. I don’t know if the family has military history before the Second World War. What do you think - fantasy piece, or something original from WW1 or earlier?

56097AF2-FC8A-44B1-992D-7B60508CB585.jpeg
1213C4C0-A785-49B2-8C05-4488E0107ED6.jpeg
4388DF2E-FA30-40BE-93C1-6C2F4512B2A8.jpeg
E7DBA2AE-8ACA-4484-AA6D-80BC2F1E8473.jpeg

I like it, look correct to me, I have similar with same type of base, can we see the bottom?

James
Thanks, James. Not much to see on the bottom. Looks almost like blotting paper?

CE95FE8B-2918-4C44-8082-8D1BD6D912C5.jpeg
I’ve tried to match the flag design of a crowned eagle in a laurel wreath to a real flag, but no luck so far.

I found this item (paperweight?) at a yard sale held by the family of a man who had been a fighter pilot in the German Luftwaffe during WW2. I don’t know if the family has military history before the Second World War. What do you think - fantasy piece, or something original from WW1 or earlier?

View attachment 24820
View attachment 24821
View attachment 24822
View attachment 24823
The flag would indicate Pre WWI. If it is artillery
I think that only the Fuss Artillery had flags
Steve

View attachment 24820
View attachment 24821
View attachment 24822
View attachment 24823
Depending on how correct the piece was made
the flag has a Sakular Parade Banner on it
That means the regiment would be 100 years old or more
There can't be too many Fuss A R that were standing for 100 years
Steve

Steve I did not say it was Fuss Artillery. It’s a piece that represents all Arms. It’s just a nice commemorative desk piece. Could be for the 15th Underground Balloon Battalion. Who knows? It is a nice original period piece.

Steve I did not say it was Fuss Artillery. It’s a piece that represents all Arms. It’s just a nice commemorative desk piece. Could be for the 15th Underground Balloon Battalion. Who knows? It is a nice original period piece.
I understand your humor
but to me the flag with Sakular Parde Banner is very important
Steve

A beautiful piece, I love it.
Laurel wreath usually stands for victory, so I assume it's a memento from the war of 1870/71. The flag with the old Prussian eagle surrounded by a laurel wreath and the bayonet could stand for the line infantry. The flag of the line infantry also shows grenades, that could explain the grenade on the piece.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I had assumed this was a fantasy piece and actually hesitated before handing over the $2 asking price. I’m so glad it’s genuine!

View attachment 24820
View attachment 24821
View attachment 24822
View attachment 24823
Here is an example of a Sakular Parade Banner for a flag of a regiment that was raised 100 years or more
to receive the banner .In this case there are 2 or them for different battalions Of Prussian Grenadier Regt. 5
SteveS 1.JPGS 2.JPGS 3.JPG

Back