Parade busch and funnel (Trichter)

Not called spike! In German: Haarbusch "Trichter" (funnel)
Looks like Yack hair (For officers). OR would have the horsehair Haarbusch.
Like this piece.

Do you mind to post a picture of the other side of the detached Haarbusch (leather disc)? Thank you!

This part is a translation from the French Uniformes HS 31:

-The Busch or parade-hair (or feather)-plume.
The Busch or plume is an ornament worn on top of the headdress to replace the spike/Spitze or ball/Kugel top. -Worn at Parades only; by those Regiments that were entitled to; on the Mod 1842 to Mod 1895 helmets. The spike/ball top is unscrewed; the Trichter with the Busch is then screwed on. The top of the Mod 1915 helmet is detachable by the bayonet style lug system and therefore cannot be unscrewed. The Mod 1915 helmet is therefore not equipped with the parade plume. The Busch for the Mannsch and Unteroffiziere/NCO’s is composed of horsehair and called Haarbusch. Called Buffelhaarbusch for the officers; generally composed of yackhair; (rarely of Buffalo hair); giving more volume to the hairbush. General Officers: Busch composed of plumes (Federbusch). The hairbush’s are black; white or red according to the Regiment or Battalion. Red for all Spielleute (bandsmen). but...Red for Bavarian Artillery as well !
-The plume/Busch is composed of three parts:
#1-Metal cone-shaped tube; called the Trichter/”funnel” that lodges/screws onto the spikes/balls base, holding #2- the parade plume: hair (or feathers); connected together and sewn between two leather discs.
Finally, this plume is screwed on top of the Trichter by means of:
#3-a metal rosette with a welded-on screw rod.
-The Trichter is a brass or german silver tube-smooth; sometimes fluted for the officers-when the helmets spike is fluted. The Trichter base lodges a screw rod to allow fastening into the spike base of the helmet. The top of the Trichter ends on a round disc with a central threaded hole for holding the rosette with its welded-on screw rod.
-This rosette is brass for Mannschaften and Officers. The rosette for the Senior Non-Commissioned Officers is: white-metal with the black and the red Busch; painted black with the white Busch. This color code is not dependent on the color of the helmets metal fittings (yellow or white).
-Through aging, the horsehair brittle and it falls off. Nowadays these Mannschaften horsehair Haarbüsche are therefore particularly rarely found complete and in good shape...

Khukri said:
Not called spike! In German: Haarbusch "Trichter" (funnel)
Looks like Yack hair (For officers). OR would have the horsehair Haarbusch.

I changed the name :thumb up:
They told me this is buffalo (yak) hair and indeed for an officer.

Excellent!
???Would there be another leather disc beneath this brass part to prevent its sharp edges from cutting the hairs???

No need to take it off...well...if you insist to do so...go ahead with your screwdriver... :-? ...this is a joke of course.
I guess: I would NEVER dare to go that far in disassembling my Bavarian Artillerie Offizier red Buffelhaarbusch-brass and fluted Trichter! (not possible anymore... I guess..: as there had been some soldering on the piece).

207rqds.jpg

Beautiful Bavarian Artillerie Offizier with red Buffelhaarbusch......thanks for showing :thumb up:

I bought this Parade busch in Kassel but unfortunately, it won´t fit on my Pickelhaube. The screw thread is a little too big. Also find out that I need a different color for my one year volunteer Prussian Helmet.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buying one of these or replacing a missing spike is always a “chance” as there is no guarantee they will fit. :(

You are so right Brian. 90% or so of all M15 spike usually fit the base, but I have come across a few where the do not. That's why I would never just buy a lone spike, but instead wait for a matching spike and base.

I have even come across officer helmets where spikes and bases don't match up too. But there is always a way to adjust everything if you got skills...... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Adam

I also have experienced M15 spikes Adam that don't fit as well as the officer spike issue. I have several spare officer bases as well as M15's hoping to find spikes for them. I also did a post on the different officer bases probably 2 years ago. The other difficulty with an M15 spike is matching the patina/colour of spike and base. If the colour is mismatched it screams...replaced spike! :( This is also the same with replacing any M15 fitting.

Back