Paradebusch

Baby shampoo by Johnson and Johnson, warm water. Horse hair is much coarser and easier to do. The one I did years ago was a white one from a Bavarian officer helmet. I would think long and hard about this before trying it, you will lose hair. If you watch movies of military parades from this era these things are blowing all over the place in a wind. They must have been a problem even then.
Many thanks for the answer.
Yes, I'm torn about what to do.It really seems to have been a problem in imperial times too. I want to do as little to the parade bush as possible and maintain its condition. First I will try to carefully brush out a strand of hair with a very soft baby brush. Maybe I'll come to a result that doesn't look as messy as it does now.

Best Regards
Mike

I think it’s Bavarian, but I found these troops who wore a white hairbush with a smooth silver funnel:
  • Flügeladjutanten des Kaisers oder der Prinzen
  • Berittene Mannschaften des I. und II. Bataillons des 1. Garde-Regiments zu Fuß
  • Garde-Dragoner-Regiment „Kaiserin Alexandra von Rußland“ Nr. 2
  • Leib-Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 20 (1. Badisches)
  • Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 21 (2. Badisches)
  • Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 22 (3. Badisches)
  • Dragoner-Regiment „Königin Olga“ Nr. 25 (1. Württembergisches)
  • Schwere Reiter-Regiment „Prinz Karl v. Bayern“ Nr. 1 (1. Bayerisches)
  • Chevauleger-Regiment „Taris“ Nr. 2 (2. Bayerisches)
  • Chevauleger-Regiment „König“ Nr. 4 (4. Bayerisches)
  • Chevauleger-Regiment „Prinz Albrecht v. Preußen“ Nr. 6 (6. Bayerisches)
  • Chevauleger-Regiment Nr. 8 (8. Bayerisches)
  • Das I. und II. Battalion des (Leib-)Grenadier-Reg. Nr. 109 (1. Badisches)
Great !
Thank you very much for the list. The piece comes from a Baden household. So it could well be that it is a parade bush of a Baden unit.It will be a challenge to find the right helmet for it.

Hello

Magnificent HAARBUSCH, a great find! above all do not try to wash it, and even brush it, be careful not to remove too much hair

Hello,now I have worked on the hair bush. At first I didn't use any water, I just brushed the entire bush with a very, very soft baby hair brush. I was able to remove a lot of dirt. The bristles of the baby brush were black afterwards (they were white before :)Only a few loose hairs have been combed out of the bush. I'll leave it like that for now because I'm happy with the result. What do you do with the metal parts? at the top of the funnel is verdigris. The funnel itself has patina. Is it best to leave it like that or should it be polished?

Best regards

20240501_144418.jpg20240501_144423.jpg20240501_144439.jpg20240501_144453.jpg

Great job! Looks really good. Different schools of thought on leaving as-is verus cleaning up. I removed some verdirgis very carefully from the Wappen of my first Pickelhaube. I would not shine anything though but that is a personal choice.

Peter

Last edited:
Hello Peter,
I used to mainly collect German Army WW2.
There it is a "no go" to edit helmets or remove patina. But you never will have verdigris on a WW2 steel helmet. I'll think about it again. I don't know if the verdigris damages the silver plating? Then I would remove it better ?.

Best regards

Hello Peter,
I used to mainly collect German Army WW2.
There it is a "no go" to edit helmets or remove patina. But you never will have verdigris on a WW2 steel helmet. I'll think about it again. I don't know if the verdigris damages the silver plating? Then I would remove it better ?.

Best regards
Brian Loree does a lot of restauration work, including polishing the metal parts if the owener wants that, so he is the best one to ask that question.

Cheers.

Peter

Back