Paris-Les Invalides

Hey Francis,
Sorry, but I can not be much help, but the Bandeau says "За Отличіе 14 Αвгуста 1815 года" This must pertain to the Peninsular War of 1813. It means For distinction 14 August 1813 year.
I have not found anything else yet.
Best
gus

So who copied who with this? I mean who came-up with the totenkopf on a hussar busby first, the Russians or the Germans?

RON said:
So who copied who with this? I mean who came-up with the totenkopf on a hussar busby first, the Russians or the Germans?

The Totenkopf was Prussian first. I've wondered about this busby as well, having seen it in Paris. This is simply one of the finest museums in the world, and yet I think some of their items are misidentified.

BTW... it was my musuem of the week on my FirearmsTruth.com site this past Saturday: http://www.firearmstruth.com/2012/international-museums-musee-de-larmee-les-invalides" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From J-L Larcade's Volume II:

-A very sinister emblem is decorating the front of the Flügelmützen of 1. and 2. Regtr LeibHusaren: a Totenkopf/skull with two crossed bones ! Nickel silver. The eye sockets and the nasal cavity stand out clearly from the black background of the mitre. Both Regts inherit this emblem from the old HusarenRegt Nr5 "von Ruesch”; called "von Prittwitz"in 1806.
http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Ruesch_Hussars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The significance of this logo is clear; its origin by no means: two hypothesis are formulated:
1. At the time of the creation of the Regt in 1741 the uniforms were made from materials decorated with the white outlines of skulls ... This cloth either came from the death room of the funeral ceremonies of Friedrich-Wilhelm I or from a monastery where the main income of the monks came from the manufacturing of shrouds .
2. At the time of the units creation: an Austrian Pandur hat served as a model for the head-dress of this newly created Regiment. The artist, in charge of the design-after thorough examination of all joints and stiches-discovered that the inside of this headdress showed a painted skull. Friedrich der Grosse, informed of this remarkable detail, decided that from then on, the Totenkopf was to be worn on the front of the Flügelmütze.

Rgds,
Francis

Back