so here we see
Infantry
Pioneer & M W
Kurassiere and Husaren M1915
Fleiger
M 1915 Field Atillery
SteveI F G.jpegP and M W M1915.jpegF  and M 1915 FAR.jpegM1915 K and H.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have an interest in some dragoon or pioneer/ MW boards if they come up in the for sale section of the forum!
THe M1915 Dragoons have mostly already been sold to a friend
of the collector .I never had photos of them .
There are lots of M1915 Pioneer and MW
Steve

Reactions: USN
That’s Chip Minx’s right? Can’t we just say his name? I hope if I die tomorrow that when photos of my collection show up on this web site, they’ll come with my name.

Last edited:
The Chip Minx collection which was world class will also be heavily advertised once it is put up for sale. No auctioneer is going to lose profit by not advertising a collection. Tony when you finally croak....I will paste your name and collection photos all over this forum!! However, as I am older, I may not be able to follow through on that promise!:( On the other hand, photos of your collection are all over the Haube reference books so perhaps my comment is a bit redundant??

That makes alot of sense now, I never knew or met him in person but I have seen a few photos of his collection especially with the thread on his passing and read about him. He seemed like a key member of the community and a great man, I would have liked to have met him. Also Tony and Brian your collections and work are well known in the imperial world and I use threads created by you and many of the other collectors here all the time when introducing people into the imperial world of collecting so I am certain your names will be tied to your pieces for years to come. Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of the forum members in person at one of these bigger shows if the navy allows me the time haha

I was pretty sure it was Chips. My jaw dropped the day he showed me all his straps, especially all the pioneer. I leaned on Chip a lot for straps and tunics.

I met Chip twice in his declining years at the SOS...a gentleman in the truest sense of the word and a huge source of expertise in our hobby. I also had the privilege of stitching up one of his SOS helmet purchases, a Bavarian M95 which had a CEF connection. The American who brought it back volunteered with the CEF and I was able to track down his service records for Chip. His name and service number were on a slip of paper in the helmet...probably why Chip bought it. 😊

That’s Chip Minx’s right? Can’t we just say his name? I hope if I die tomorrow that when photos of my collection show up on this web site, they’ll come with my name.

Yes, thanks Tony, I'm very glad you said this. I agree entirely with what you've stated.

I recall seeing Chip's complete collection of enlisted feldgrau Ciphered shoulder boards in two large riker mount display cases in his collector room. I saw much of his cloth collection, but it was mostly a blur to me since I'm not an Imperial German cloth collector per say.

I wonder if anyone here knows the various pieces of the puzzle as to what transpired after his untimely demise? (I know parts of it, but probably not all of it. Others probably know better than I do about this.) How one good friend of his contacted me and told me the two boys supposedly didn't want his death published on the forums? And how one other person "took it upon himself" with publishing his death on at least 3-different forums? And how two collectors, Mike Ross and Charlie P., (the latter listed is his very good longtime friend, the very one who told me not to tell anyone of his demise on any of the forums, per what his boys requested) got into the collection with his two boys permission and cherry picked items, such as some of the shoulder boards, gasmasks, feldrau tunics, Garde camo helmets, potato mashers, beautiful Kar98 rifle, and other beautiful rare items, etc. Maybe they paid well, I don't really know, and don't really care. And how the collection was ultimately sold by the two boys, to a dealer because his two boys were literally hounded constantly by all sorts of people wanting to buy things. I was told by someone in the "know", that the boys told these two friends of his that they could pick out "10-items" to buy. Well, I saw some photos a few weeks ago and it looked like there was a whole lot more than a mere "10 items" that were purchased from what I saw in these photos from one of these two friends of Chip. I was amazed to see what all was purchased by one of these two guys. I laughed to myself and call it a "small fortune" as to the value of the items that I saw in the photos.

I found out recently from the dealer who bought Chip's collection that he probably won't start selling any of it until early in 2023. I had been hoping that some of it would start to be available for sale this summer of 2022, but it didn't sound like that will be the case. At least from what he said a few weeks ago when I spoke with him. Not sure if that will change or not with him in his sales schedule.

And the dealer told me that he's apparently going to publish a book that will show Chip's collection, which would be very nice.

Both Charlie P., and myself offered several times to help Chip do his book on feldgrau shoulder straps. Unfortunately when I offered to help, he was too sick with his battle, and didn't have the energy to work on it with either of us. He had probably the best enlisted fe

Last edited:
sorry, the forum has "locked up on me again in mid-sentence, and won't let me continue to type in the post above. I've noticed it has done this several times over the past few weeks while I was writing. So I'll continue here:

Chip had probably one of the best feldgrau enlisted shoulder strap collections in the world, and it's a real shame that he never got his book written and published, as was his dream.

He also had a lifetime list of the leather goods maker marks that hopefully isn't lost. I've spoken with the dealer, and told him the possibilities of where to look for it with items he has, and with the boys with their late father's laptop. Hopefully this information can be found and preserved for all collectors to benefit from.

I think that all of us who knew Chip, realize that he didn't think his untimely demise would ultimately come so soon. None of us did either, even though he was in and out of the hospital multiple times in 2021.

The "moral" to this story and I've seen this before with another late friend's collection and what happened to it and how it was sold in 1998:

Make very certain that you have made very specific instructions as to what you want to have happen to your collection after your demise. One never knows what can happen in the turn of events with one's life, and how it may be taken from you with little notice or expectations. Make certain to have plans for your collection, and who you want to have sell it. I realize that many of you here have made these specific plans. Some here have not, most likely. That's my two cent's worth advice in a nutshell...

At least Chip's collection is in the hands of one of the best, most reputable dealers in the world.

Sadly I can't say that with what happened to my late friend Bill's collection after his demise in 1997. Some of it was sold quickly at an estate "tag sale" by a no-nothing estate sale person. The bulk of it was ultimately sent out of state to the former Roger S. Steffen Auction House. I don't know if the family ever saw a dime from the proceeds of the sale, knowing the reputation of Roger S. Steffen, or if most of the customers ever got their "won lots" items or not from the auction. I do know that several years later some of the items surfaced in a storage unit in KY, and was brought back to Iowa for a real live auction where I was able to buy a few items.

So to everyone here who reads this: Please make written, legal plans as to what you want done with your collection after your ultimate passing from this life here. You'll be doing yourself and your family and your other collector friends a huge favor by making plans for your collection.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Last edited:
I was pretty sure it was Chips. My jaw dropped the day he showed me all his straps, especially all the pioneer. I leaned on Chip a lot for straps and tunics.

Yes, my jaw dropped as well, each of the times that I was privileged to see his collection.

The depth of his knowledge of feldgrau straps, tunics, and so many other aspects of Imperial German militaria is unbelievable. He was like a walking reference book. I leaned on him a lot as well, and he was always eager and cheerful to help out. His absence now is clearly seen and felt on the various collector forums, when questions are posed about many of these areas where he was a world class expert of knowledge, and no one is quick to give an answer like he was always helpful with doing.

Yes, thanks Tony, I'm very glad you said this. I agree entirely with what you've stated.

I recall seeing Chip's complete collection of enlisted feldgrau Ciphered shoulder boards in two large riker mount display cases in his collector room. I saw much of his cloth collection, but it was mostly a blur to me since I'm not an Imperial German cloth collector per say.

I wonder if anyone here knows the various pieces of the puzzle as to what transpired after his untimely demise? (I know parts of it, but probably not all of it. Others probably know better than I do about this.) How one good friend of his contacted me and told me the two boys supposedly didn't want his death published on the forums? And how one other person "took it upon himself" with publishing his death on at least 3-different forums? And how two collectors, Mike Ross and Charlie P., (the latter listed is his very good longtime friend, the very one who told me not to tell anyone of his demise on any of the forums, per what his boys requested) got into the collection with his two boys permission and cherry picked items, such as some of the shoulder boards, gasmasks, feldrau tunics, Garde camo helmets, potato mashers, beautiful Kar98 rifle, and other beautiful rare items, etc. Maybe they paid well, I don't really know, and don't really care. And how the collection was ultimately sold by the two boys, to a dealer because his two boys were literally hounded constantly by all sorts of people wanting to buy things. I was told by someone in the "know", that the boys told these two friends of his that they could pick out "10-items" to buy. Well, I saw some photos a few weeks ago and it looked like there was a whole lot more than a mere "10 items" that were purchased from what I saw in these photos from one of these two friends of Chip. I was amazed to see what all was purchased by one of these two guys. I laughed to myself and call it a "small fortune" as to the value of the items that I saw in the photos.

I found out recently from the dealer who bought Chip's collection that he probably won't start selling any of it until early in 2023. I had been hoping that some of it would start to be available for sale this summer of 2022, but it didn't sound like that will be the case. At least from what he said a few weeks ago when I spoke with him. Not sure if that will change or not with him in his sales schedule.

And the dealer told me that he's apparently going to publish a book that will show Chip's collection, which would be very nice.

Both Charlie P., and myself offered several times to help Chip do his book on feldgrau shoulder straps. Unfortunately when I offered to help, he was too sick with his battle, and didn't have the energy to work on it with either of us. He had probably the best enlisted fe
Alan ;
I did the posting of the photos of the straps .They were sent to me sometime ago .
Out of respect to the family I did NOT have their O K to post his name on our site
and that is why I did NOT do that .I also did NOT have an O K to post the names
of anyone who was able to buy some of the items .
Steve

Hello guys -
I am the one who purchased the bulk of Chip's collection. It was something that Chip and I had discussed several years ago. I did not contact the family after he passed because I felt that would be inappropriate; I would rather lose a collection than be 'THAT guy.' After he passed, there was no word from the family to confirm that our arrangement had been communicated to them. Fortunately the family got in touch with his very good friend Charlie, who recommended they contact me.

As for speculation about what was sold prior to this, Charlie and another friend were invited to purchase a few items, and that was indeed Chip's specific wish as well. I can say this with certainty - those two absolutely bent over backward to make sure that Chip's family was fairly compensated for the few items that they selected. If you hear of anyone saying otherwise, please correct them. Those type of rumors are toxic, and in this case absolutely without merit.

As for the sale, it will happen over the course of several catalogs, slowly and methodically. Chip was not only a very dear friend, but a legend in the collecting community for his scholarship, and generosity in sharing that knowledge. We could never do 'the book' as Chip would have, but at the very least we can document the high points of his collection and make sure that legacy is one that will be remembered in our community.

Hello guys -
I am the one who purchased the bulk of Chip's collection. It was something that Chip and I had discussed several years ago. I did not contact the family after he passed because I felt that would be inappropriate; I would rather lose a collection than be 'THAT guy.' After he passed, there was no word from the family to confirm that our arrangement had been communicated to them. Fortunately the family got in touch with his very good friend Charlie, who recommended they contact me.

As for speculation about what was sold prior to this, Charlie and another friend were invited to purchase a few items, and that was indeed Chip's specific wish as well. I can say this with certainty - those two absolutely bent over backward to make sure that Chip's family was fairly compensated for the few items that they selected. If you hear of anyone saying otherwise, please correct them. Those type of rumors are toxic, and in this case absolutely without merit.

As for the sale, it will happen over the course of several catalogs, slowly and methodically. Chip was not only a very dear friend, but a legend in the collecting community for his scholarship, and generosity in sharing that knowledge. We could never do 'the book' as Chip would have, but at the very least we can document the high points of his collection and make sure that legacy is one that will be remembered in our community.
Jeff ;
Well written and thank you for setting things straight .
This whole thing now makes me wish that I had never posted the photos
Steve McFarland

Steve
I for one am very grateful you posted the photos. If you hadn’t we wouldn’t have learnt what had happened to this great collection and where and when it was coming up for sale. It is great to know it will be AGM dealing with it, although I have found with the different time zone and the speed of some collectors in pressing that button has meant that I have missed out on quite a few great pieces they have sold in the past! Maybe I will be lucky next time - I know now it’s worth saving for this collection.
So thank you for posting those great photos!
All the best,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back