Pattern for an officers pickelhaube liner.

Tenente

Ok, I'm taking the plunge and trying my hand at replacing a liner in an officers pickelhaube. Is there a pattern I could follow here on this site?

Unfortunately not. You would have to recreate one that is slightly curved and has all the little half circles on it. It's very time consuming, but highly rewarding!

Unfortunately not. You would have to recreate one that is slightly curved and has all the little half circles on it. It's very time consuming, but highly rewarding!
I have that part done. The shitty liner I took out was shaped like a hockey stick, instead of having a gradual curve. So I made mine with a slight curve, and the scallops on the other side. But I'm not sure how extreme the curve needs to be.

Attachments

• 20230217_120449.jpg
    20230217_120449.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230217_120459.jpg
    20230217_120459.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 19
Here's a little something I worked on a long time ago. I sketched up the liner and made it symmetrical. I measured exact sizes using an existing piece then developed a patter on a large sheet of paper. I added details after and roughly sketched out the circles on top, for which I later used a template to cut them out (which was painstaking and time consuming, but like I said, very rewarding).

Attachments

• IMG_3219 (2).JPG
    IMG_3219 (2).JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Actually, here is a picture of the jig/template I made for the circles. Its some washer that I glued to a piece of Aluminum. I would the move it along, cutting out each circle. It took forever, but I was pleased with my final results.

Attachments

• 20230217_124117.jpg
    20230217_124117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Here's a little something I worked on a long time ago. I sketched up the liner and made it symmetrical. I measured exact sizes using an existing piece then developed a patter on a large sheet of paper. I added details after and roughly sketched out the circles on top, for which I later used a template to cut them out (which was painstaking and time consuming, but like I said, very rewarding).
Ok, How was this pattern installed? I mean where on the helmet s outer rim do you place the extreme bell curves that you have here?

Ok, How was this pattern installed? I mean where on the helmet s outer rim do you place the extreme bell curves that you have here?
Actually, this was for an officer tschapka helmet that is why there is extreme curves. All I had was a small piece of old liner and used it to make the large paper template.

Your cloud pattern is nice, but the original pattern is more circular. I'm sure when they made the liner 100+ years ago the probably had a metal die and press that punched them out.

An officer pickelhaube liner will be much less curved and you will have to add some extra material as it is stitched onto the shell and then flipped inward.....

There is a lot of description here about liners being “curved “. I presume you are talking about the bottom edge of the liner which is stitched to the edge of the shell. This edge is not curved, it is straight. A 100 year old officer sweat band may look curved after you remove it but originally, the stitching edge was straight. The edge of the shell is a straight plane so you don’t need a curved edge. I faced this problem years ago when I wanted to make my first OR’s liner, I thought it should be curved but then I put the question to a Math teacher and he assured me a straight edge was the correct way to go. Subsequently, I have made and installed a number of reproduction liners without any problems.
A tschapka liner is totally different and more complex. It does have curves to match the curves in the edge of the shell.

Your cloud pattern is nice, but the original pattern is more circular. I'm sure when they made the liner 100+ years ago the probably had a metal die and press that punched them out.
I'm sure it was done with scissors like this in the past and there exists different patterns. I only have 4 officer helmets, but my helmets alone have 2 different patterns. So I don't think you have to be too specific.
69D7F7A2-9470-48EA-A2BF-629C5BA45C5F.jpeg
64D874C7-91DB-4C19-A0AA-0106DC4C4E38.jpeg

Attachments

• 3160D315-7A35-4AB6-A570-BE3C2181A703.jpeg
    3160D315-7A35-4AB6-A570-BE3C2181A703.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 5
Those scissors must be relatively new.
I made a leather stamp for the late helmet restorer George Birringer back in the day.
It consisted of 4 rounded chisel points soldered together.
These scissors would make the scalloping a sinch.

There is a lot of description here about liners being “curved “. I presume you are talking about the bottom edge of the liner which is stitched to the edge of the shell. This edge is not curved, it is straight. A 100 year old officer sweat band may look curved after you remove it but originally, the stitching edge was straight. The edge of the shell is a straight plane so you don’t need a curved edge. I faced this problem years ago when I wanted to make my first OR’s liner, I thought it should be curved but then I put the question to a Math teacher and he assured me a straight edge was the correct way to go. Subsequently, I have made and installed a number of reproduction liners without any problems.
A tschapka liner is totally different and more complex. It does have curves to match the curves in the edge of the shell.
Thanks B. I originally thought that was the case but was not sure. I'll do that on the second attempt.

Those scissors must be relatively new.
I made a leather stamp for the late helmet restorer George Birringer back in the day.
It consisted of 4 rounded chisel points soldered together.
These scissors would make the scalloping a sinch.
They've been around for a while. Problem was they were usually meant for industry use, or serious fabric hobbyists. Most people never needed o use them so they were seldom seen.

Back