Pattern for an officers pickelhaube liner.

A couple of photos:
IMG_3798.jpeg
My template for an OR's pickelhaube liner. This was made by tracing pieces from an original.
IMG_3799.jpeg
A complete example of one of my reproduction liners. An officer sweat band was made from calf skin, this is vegetable tanned sheep skin which has to be dyed black on the hair side. I do not see scissors being used to create the scalloped edge of the officer SB. I don't see Hans sitting at the bench for hours with scissors....too hard on the hands!! In my opinion, a mechanical means was used, either a stamping machine as has been suggested or a hand crank and 2 cutting wheels...like a can opener. The thin leather S band is fed through these and the scalloped edge is cut. My opinion only.

A couple of photos:
View attachment 29944
My template for an OR's pickelhaube liner. This was made by tracing pieces from an original.
View attachment 29945
A complete example of one of my reproduction liners. An officer sweat band was made from calf skin, this is vegetable tanned sheep skin which has to be dyed black on the hair side. I do not see scissors being used to create the scalloped edge of the officer SB. I don't see Hans sitting at the bench for hours with scissors....too hard on the hands!! In my opinion, a mechanical means was used, either a stamping machine as has been suggested or a hand crank and 2 cutting wheels...like a can opener. The thin leather S band is fed through these and the scalloped edge is cut. My opinion only.
Excellent analysis Brian. Also, I love your OR liner!

A couple of photos:
View attachment 29944
View attachment 29945
I have used two of Brian’s OR liners. They are the best.

Peter

A couple of photos:
View attachment 29944
View attachment 29945
That liner looks awesome. I'm using calf skin for my officers liner. I used a light brown dye, but it came out pretty dark. As far as the scissors go, that's my best option right now. Now what thickness should the leather be?

Last edited:
That liner looks awesome. I made one of calf skin and goat skin. for my officers liner. I used a light brown dye, but it came out pretty dark. As far as the scissors go, that's my best option right now. Now what thickness should the leather be?

Ok, this is not installed yet, nor scalloped, this is just a dry fit to see how it will look. This is the calfskin liner so far.

Attachments

• 20230219_152826.jpg
    20230219_152826.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230219_152840.jpg
    20230219_152840.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Thickness of leather is measured in ounces and I don't know what the thickness of an officer liner would be. You would have to take an original piece to some store that sells leather craft supplies and get them to measure it. I did this with an OR's helmet and that liner was 2 ounce thickness. Regarding your photos above....your liner is too long at present and thus the folds. In order to get a tight fit to the shell, I wet about an inch up from the straight edge before I stitch. This allows you to pull the leather tight as you stitch around the rim. However, you have to be prepared to stitch the entire liner to the shell (complete) if you do this. You will notice how sharp and tight the fold is on my liner. This is because it was stitched in wet and pulled tight as I stitched. You can't let the wetted area/edge dry out. Once finished put the shell on a tight head form and allow to dry. Let this sit for a couple of days and as a result you will get a nice sharp fold over the rim of the shell.
OR/EM liners were sewn onto the shell before the M91 side posts were put on so consequently, if you are going to stitch in a new liner or new original liner, you should remove these posts. I have stitched in new repro liners without removing the M91's but you can't do this with the old original leather. Good luck with your stitching, I hope these words of mine provide some help.

Thickness of leather is measured in ounces and I don't know what the thickness of an officer liner would be. You would have to take an original piece to some store that sells leather craft supplies and get them to measure it. I did this with an OR's helmet and that liner was 2 ounce thickness. Regarding your photos above....your liner is too long at present and thus the folds. In order to get a tight fit to the shell, I wet about an inch up from the straight edge before I stitch. This allows you to pull the leather tight as you stitch around the rim. However, you have to be prepared to stitch the entire liner to the shell (complete) if you do this. You will notice how sharp and tight the fold is on my liner. This is because it was stitched in wet and pulled tight as I stitched. You can't let the wetted area/edge dry out. Once finished put the shell on a tight head form and allow to dry. Let this sit for a couple of days and as a result you will get a nice sharp fold over the rim of the shell.
OR/EM liners were sewn onto the shell before the M91 side posts were put on so consequently, if you are going to stitch in a new liner or new original liner, you should remove these posts. I have stitched in new repro liners without removing the M91's but you can't do this with the old original leather. Good luck with your stitching, I hope these words of mine provide some help.
Ok, I was about half an inch too long. I re stitched it and made it " Sock" tight. This is a better result. I really appreciate this help. I think you'll approve.

Attachments

• 20230219_183746.jpg
    20230219_183746.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Much better T looking good! Just another bit of information and please, I am not trying to be an A-hole here. The ends of the officer calf skin band overlap and are glued together not stitched. The ends of the OR overlap as well but are hand stitched. Some additional information for future projects.

Much better T looking good! Just another bit of information and please, I am not trying to be an A-hole here. The ends of the officer calf skin band overlap and are glued together not stitched. The ends of the OR overlap as well but are hand stitched. Some additional information for future projects.
I appreciate it Lorre. I was copying my Original Bavarian officers liner. That's why I stitched it together. Either way, I really appreciate the help here. I'm still waiting for my 7mm scallop scissors. I really don't want to use the 5 mm now.

Attachments

• 20230222_173320.jpg
    20230222_173320.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 8
A couple of photos:
View attachment 29944
View attachment 29945
Brian
How much does that project cost ? Steve McFarland

Ok Guys. It's been a while, But here it is fully Installed and helmet reconstructed. I still have to hand stitch in the silk part, but the Leather conditioner really made the color come out the way I wanted it.

Attachments

• 20230308_171049.jpg
    20230308_171049.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230308_171055.jpg
    20230308_171055.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230308_171135.jpg
    20230308_171135.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230308_171042.jpg
    20230308_171042.jpg