photobucket pics dont show?

USMC-EOD

ive been trying to look at the forum since i got stationed out here in Okinawa a couple of years ago and i have found that most of the pictures are no longer there. Just photobucket squares telling me i need to update my account? What gives with this? am i doing something wrong or is this due to my being in Okinawa? Appreciate any advice; this site is one heck of a great resource, but not so great without images to reference... Semper Fi. Bryan.

Hello,
you find more information about that (very sad!) problem, here;
http://pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bryan: This problem has nothing to do with you or your present location. Photobucket chose to up it's rates to $400US per year for anyone posting pictures to "3rd party sites" like this forum. We regard this action as kidnapping/ pirating our pictures......holding them for ransom! Unfortunately, as you have seen thousands of pictures on the site have been terminated. Most of us have joined other web picture hosts like Smugmug in my case. Basically, life goes on and some of us will repost our pics on the more important topics. Regards, Brian Loree Administrator

Hey Bryan,
Do not let them fool you, it is totally because of your location, the webernet has started blocking anything that is going anywhere near North Korea, you need to move back to the real world so you can see all the cool photos that are blocked where you are.

USMC-EOD said:
ive been trying to look at the forum since i got stationed out here in Okinawa a couple of years ago and i have found that most of the pictures are no longer there. Just photobucket squares telling me i need to update my account? What gives with this? am i doing something wrong or is this due to my being in Okinawa? Appreciate any advice; this site is one heck of a great resource, but not so great without images to reference... Semper Fi. Bryan.

Greetings Marine,
Photobucket doesn't work for anybody. I switched all of my stuff to picorator.com and have been using it ever since the photobucket snafu.
Give it a try. No pop-ups, no ads, no hassle. You will need to resize your photos on your computer before you load them. There are no editing capabilities on picorator.
Drink a beer on White Beach for me.

Semper Fi,
John :)

Bryan...regarding Gus's response.....he is a character and a loveable one..an eccentric perhaps :) ?? However, very, very savvy in the world of militaria collecting. Check out his posts. "State of Confusion" does say it all.

SkipperJohn said:
USMC-EOD said:

Greetings Marine,
Photobucket doesn't work for anybody. I switched all of my stuff to picorator.com and have been using it ever since the photobucket snafu.
Give it a try. No pop-ups, no ads, no hassle. You will need to resize your photos on your computer before you load them. There are no editing capabilities on picorator.
Drink a beer on White Beach for me.

Semper Fi,

John- just an FYI not sure exactly how I did it, but changed the size of pictures on my Camera, now I do not have to resize on Picorator anymore....

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
John- just an FYI not sure exactly how I did it, but changed the size of pictures on my Camera, now I do not have to resize on Picorator anymore....

James

I tried to change the size in my camera but could not figure it out. I just use the 'paint' program and resize them there.
I did discover that I do not need to resize if I download the photos directly from photobucket to my computer and then load them into picorator. The size set in photobucket remains the same.
That only applied to the posts that I updated. Anything new I have to resize.
I canceled my photobucket account after downloading all of my existing photos to my computer. Good riddance!

Smugmug gives you size options every time you post pictures on the forum. I am happy with it so far.

Thanks Brian. Informative. That sucks about PB :| . And don't worry; I know all about Gus' quirks. He and I spent a fun afternoon in Yuma a few years ago shooting the bull with a former WWII Marine Raider. And been there, done that with the beer on White Beach, Skipper. Semper Fi.

So, Brian; is there any plan to ask folks to re-post the "stickied" postings with a new photo provider?

There is a lot of good gouge that looks like it was lost.

Plus it is disheartening to start reading one of the posts with everyone saying things like "That is incredible!" or "That is the first one of those i've ever seen!" over and over again and never really being able to understand what it was that they were all referring to.

Not bagging on you, Brian, or the site; it is awesome and I appreciate the resource. Just difficult to look up old posts for reference and not be able to get anything from it.

This photo Bucket thing really sucks. :twisted:

USMC-EOD said:
So, Brian; is there any plan to ask folks to re-post the "stickied" postings with a new photo provider?

There is a lot of good gouge that looks like it was lost.

Plus it is disheartening to start reading one of the posts with everyone saying things like "That is incredible!" or "That is the first one of those i've ever seen!" over and over again and never really being able to understand what it was that they were all referring to.

Not bagging on you, Brian, or the site; it is awesome and I appreciate the resource. Just difficult to look up old posts for reference and not be able to get anything from it.

This photo Bucket thing really sucks. :twisted:

Many of us are currently in the process of transferring photos and re-posting. It is a time consuming process. The photobucket snafu caused a lot of damage, but I have been impressed with our members loyalty to this forum and refusal to let it die.

I was trying to research a potential purchase just last week and encountered the same problem you are discussing. All of the photos were gone so I could not see examples to make a comparison. I pm'ed a member, got photos and answers, and ultimately prevented wasting $2000. (Thank you Chas!!). I have found that there is always somebody here who can answer any questions you may have. That's the best bet until everybody finds a new photo provider. I use picorator.com.

Bryan obviously, the whole issue sucks big time. Much has been lost, Skip has been very good at reposting pics. We can't let this corporation hold our pics for ransom. So most like myself, have gone to other sites. I will make an effort to repost my photos as well but we are talking years of posts here. For my part, I will choose the ones that I see as major. I have not really gotten into this because I am busy with restoration projects which folks have kindly sent me.

Roger Brian. I totally get it. My sincere thanks to you and the others who attempt a partial rebuild. You mentioned other good pickelhaube sites out there. What are they, just out of curiosity?

Also, as you re-build, will you focus on the excellent restoration section? I ask because I have been doing a lot of restoration work as well over the years, and I got some excellent advice off of your old posts in the past. It's about the only way I can afford this hobby most of the time.

Bryan, the word "sites" was used to refer to photo hosting sites not other pickelhaube collector forums. Re that, I believe there is a French site for collectors and I think Valhalla has a section for haube collectors. I don't cruise other collector sites, as this one is what I care about and all my energies go into keeping it running smoothly. Reposting pictures to the restoration section, will be my main priority as they generate business, not that I really need any more projects to work on. If you have any restorating questions in the meantime, PM me or email: [email protected] I will gladly help you out. I hope to have projects completed by Jan so I can take a couple of months off and work on reposting.

Back