Photos in older threads gone?

ussguppy

Went back to some posts in 2016 and earlier to look for a particular picture, but it seems that everything from then on all the posts I saw were deleted. The words in the actual post are there, but pictures aren't. Am I missing something, or was it to clear server space?

Gabe

Are you looking for a special post? I saved one or two particularly good posts as PDFs back then, so maybe it'll be there.

Went back to some posts in 2016 and earlier to look for a particular picture, but it seems that everything from then on all the posts I saw were deleted. The words in the actual post are there, but pictures aren't. Am I missing something, or was it to clear server space?

Gabe
Photobucket was free back then .Then they went overnight to charging a fee .
Maybe some of the photos that are no longer there were Photobucket ?
Steve

Yes, most of us were using Pbucket back then and they caused irreversible damage to the forum when they decided to charge for their hosting. :mad:

Are you looking for a special post? I saved one or two particularly good posts as PDFs back then, so maybe it'll be there.
The post I was looking for was one about a Nazi Pickelhaube, presumably for a fire department in the 30s. It was such an unexpected sight or me. I've recently seen 2, so it made me want to see what the discussion was...

Yes, most of us were using Pbucket back then and they caused irreversible damage to the forum when they decided to charge for their hosting. :mad:
How unfortunate. I manage a few websites and it's always the space of pictures that makes it difficult. Linking large files externally is much preferred as many users are not knowledgeable on how to make smaller size pictures.

The post I was looking for was one about a Nazi Pickelhaube, presumably for a fire department in the 30s. It was such an unexpected sight or me. I've recently seen 2, so it made me want to see what the discussion was...
Sorry, I don’t have secured a post with this topic 😶‍🌫️

How unfortunate. I manage a few websites and it's always the space of pictures that makes it difficult. Linking large files externally is much preferred as many users are not knowledgeable on how to make smaller size pictures.

Will say I'm quite happy for photos to be uploaded directly to the forum - one would hope it's better from a preservation perspective and *so far* at least storage space hasn't been an issue.

Truth be told I'd rather find ways to make more storage available than inconvenience people when photos from a few short years ago have gone missing.

Thank you Joel for that post and recommendation! In truth, this forum is a treasure trove of information and photos for collectors, authors and Historians present and future. It was a great shame that we lost so many photos due to the greed of Photobucket. However, it is what happened and there is no means of recovery that I know of. I want to thank Joel for his years of tech support. He is always quick to respond when we encounter a problem. (y)

Back