Pickelhaube chinstraps - some sewn, some rivetted?

simon505

I was having a look at a friend's erstaz pickelhaube last weekend and was interested to see that the chin strap appears to be rivetted to the two sliding buckles as opposed to being sewn like most i've seen (including my own 1895). I've since has a look on the internet and found a few M1916 steel helmets that have the leather rivetted back when attached to the buckle.

Does anyone know whether there was a decided change from sewing to rivetting? It's only that I haven't seen any early pickelhaubes that have been rivetted only Ersatz versions and steel helmets. Or was it just a manufacturer's variation?

Would be interested if anyone might know. Only a very minor point...

Thanks,

Simon

Ahhh. Many thanks for that. I see.

My M1916 has a rivetted strap. I have seen an m1916 with a rivetted strap and brass fittings. That one was picked up on the somme in 1916 and has been in a long standing established private collection so maybe it wasn't just the ersatz pickelhaube straps that were rivetted.

thanks,

Simon

Hello everyone,
I have also some rivetted chinstraps one or 2 are with the steel grey painted buckles and another one has cupro aluminium buckles which is attached on a filz helmet withthe same fittings dating it from late1914 till beginning of 1915

Some additional info on this topic from my collection. I have a partial chinstrap which lacks buckles and is of a thinner width than normal. The end pieces are fastened with domed rivets that have short split brads at the back to fasten the ends of the strap. The leather shows no indication of modern scissor cutting. Brian

I have a minimalistic ersatz helmet with the chin strap riveted directly to the helmet, i.e. no M91 posts. Its like on a visor cap, and the cocards are not removable. Regretably the helmet is in bad condition and the chin strap is torn leaving only the leather ends under the rivets.

Hello
Here is one of mine with iron rivets and brass buckel
This one is with felt bavarian helmet (made before april 1915)
I think this rivetted chinstraps was an war expedient used by some manufacturer but not generalised and then disused (this straps was more brittle than sewed strap)
Regards

2dabng2.jpg

KAGGR 1870 said:
Hello
Here is one of mine with iron rivets and brass buckel
This one is with felt bavarian helmet (made before april 1915)
I think this rivetted chinstraps was an war expedient used by some manufacturer but not generalised and then disused (this straps was more brittle than sewed strap)
Regards

2dabng2.jpg

Yepp I have also one or two like these. A rare goodie.

Robert said:
I have a minimalistic ersatz helmet with the chin strap riveted directly to the helmet, i.e. no M91 posts. Its like on a visor cap, and the cocards are not removable. Regretably the helmet is in bad condition and the chin strap is torn leaving only the leather ends under the rivets.

I have also a cork helmet with the chinstraps riveted directly to the helmet.
these are made of iron sheet or steel and I have seen one in a book and one in a museum all were made of steel.
Are yours also steel or are they brass or copper rivets?
Would really like to know. Because I have seen in another collection also a cork helmet but with copper rivets (NO M91 posts)
Perhabs you can post a pic of it or mail it to me? Just PM me
thx
Belgianator

Although not on a Pickelhaube, here's another chinstrap with brass fittings and iron rivets which came with a camo Garde Division Stahlhelm. I only have a shot of the one side at the moment. The chinstrap most likely started out on a Pickelhaube before being transferred to the steel helmet.

Another steel helmet I own has a broken chinstrap made of green leather that is also riveted to the brass fittings, similar to a chinstrap on one of Belgianator's Ersatz Pickelhauben if memory serves. No good pics of this one yet.

Here are some shots of the first chinstrap mentioned, first on the helmet and then alongside 2 sewn chinstraps.

100_1327_edited.jpg

000_0004.jpg

000_0002.jpg

I have also a cork helmet with the chinstraps riveted directly to the helmet.
these are made of iron sheet or steel and I have seen one in a book and one in a museum all were made of steel.
Are yours also steel or are they brass or copper rivets?
Would really like to know. Because I have seen in another collection also a cork helmet but with copper rivets (NO M91 posts)
Perhabs you can post a pic of it or mail it to me?

The rivets are rusted so either steel or iron, painted black on the outside. The helmet is in a quite run down condition but anyway I got it cheap. It would be interesting though to know how the chin strap originally looked like. I suppose it was made similar to a visor cap. How does yours look like? Do you have a picture?

kork_riemen_aussen.jpg

kork_riemen_innen.jpg

Back