Pickelhaube ersatz

brusik1

Hello everybody,

I need help, is it possible to align the helmet?

Attachments

• drgdgg.jpg
    drgdgg.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 2,500
  • jk.jk.jpg
    jk.jk.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 2,500
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 2,500
Yes and no....it would take some "gentle" bending of the rear spine to raise the spike. But the cork is probably cracked and broken too much so it might just fall back in.

Because of how rare this helmet is, I would probably just leave it as found.

PS....this is an excellent helmet...my favorite type!

Actually there is a way to fix this helmet along with felt helmets as well.

But you need to remember it took over 100 years for the helmet to get into this shape .

It will take time to get it back , maybe not 100 years but it will take time .

Here are the parts you need to fix this helm.

1. 3 x Coffee mugs light ,med and heavy weight mugs .
2. Inside spike support disk ( if there is none inside the helmet )
3. Aprx 8x8 piece of paste board with a hole big enough to clear the base of the spike ( paste board is the board backing a legal tablet )
4. A stout glass taller than the inside of the helmet down past the visors of the helmet

Start

1. On this helmet you will have to take off the rear spine. See how it conforms to the indentation ? It will fight you trying to get the sunken section out.out . While you are at it take off the eagle as well.
2. Place the support disc inside the helmet under the spike area . If the helmet has one there already go to step 3.
3. Place helmet on top of glass making sure it is under the support disk
4. Place paste board on top of the helmet making sure it incircles the spike base.
5. Place light weighted coffee mug over the spike.
6. Allow time to pass
7. If you start seeing the dent come out stay with the light cup . If it looks like nothing is happening increase to the med weighted mug and so on.

Depending on the humidity in your area , it should take 2 weeks or up to 2 months to pop out.

Start with a light mug first.

Maybe longer.

NICE HELMET !!!

Hi,

Pickelhauben is right that this would probably work great for felt and even leather, but this is cork.

It will probably not work for a cork helmet using this method. Usually when a cork helmet is indented like yours, the cork is fractured into several small pieces making it difficult to reshape. Even if it is large pieces, cork would take a very long time to reform.

Pontiac9999 said:
It will probably not work for a cork helmet using this method.

Agree completely. Cork Ersatz do not lose shape, they break. You cannot piece together a broken egg. Be grateful they covered these in cloth, that is what has kept most of these together all these years.

These are my favorites!!! i would leave it as is becose one wrong move could make it even worse just place it onto something so that it no longer rests on its visors an of into the collectorscave😁😁😁

Jonas

Back