Pickelhaube for your review

Don't think that this is good, sorry....I personally have never seen a mix of brass and grey parts on a felt helmet. However, in this pickelhaube game, it may be quite possible. That visor trim (right side, also looks suspect.....pinned very close to the edge of the helmet. The last thing that I see, again from these pictures is that the visor trim has been cut to fit this helme.

b.loree said:
Don't think that this is good, sorry....I personally have never seen a mix of brass and grey parts on a felt helmet. However, in this pickelhaube game, it may be quite possible. That visor trim (right side, also looks suspect.....pinned very close to the edge of the helmet.

I agree .

Is it possible to take it off?

It will present a lot better.

aicusv said:
I must need new glasses, it didn't looked mixed metals to me.

Yes the visor trim , side posts ,rear spine and looks like the spike rivets are all grey metal , the spike and plate are brass .

I have never seen a brass spike mounted with steel rivets before.

If original , truly unique.

I have seen mixed grey metal and brass fittings on felt helmets before, but the brass components are usually painted or chemically darkened. I almost had my hands on a felt that had all grey metal except for the Wappen which had been chemically darkened. It was difficult to tell the difference.
In my opinion the spike has been removed at some point on this helmet. Notice how the bent pins are loose and do not lay flush with the reinforcement plate. I would suspect that the spike was a replacement, probably original, but not original to this helmet.
It would be hard to guess on this helmet.
It could go either way.

Tony has some good info on this here:
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/ersatz.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John :-k

I took a second look at this, to my eyes the front visor has been trimmed on one side to fit this helmet. This is the side where the pin is not right. If you look at the front view, you can see the visor trim is not equal on both side, one part is shorter than the other. As to parts mix, My Hessen M15 has brass M91 posts but everything else is grey, However, this is a leather helmet not filz.

I have posted before about the Pioneer helmet I have. It is a family bring back (great Uncle). Leather body, silver wappen, spike, and chin strap fittings.Visor guard, rear spine, and chin strap post are grey.

Back