pickelhaube gas mask!!?

MadMax13

Very interesting design for a gas mask seller states its adapted from a pickelhaube.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-ghostly-WWI-German-gas-mask-/300425239939?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f2bd5d83

This is a design not adapeted from a Pickelhaube, but a full helmet breathing apperatus, I can not remember the exact use, but If I recall correctly it may have been used by flamthrower troops,
Gus

This helmet is referred to as König'scher Rauchhelm and was designed well before WWI for use by firefighters. Here is an article that shows this helmet type. A nice collectors item nontheless, but as I understood the piece offered is a replica itself. What I dont get is that a museum makes such an error identifying this as a gas mask. I would not rule out that is was used during WWI in the fire service role though.

http://www.feuerwehr-potsdam.de/technik/atemschutz/atemschutzentwicklung_2.htm

atemschutz_rauchhelm_02.jpg

The way I read the description, the seller said an exact replica is in a museum. In any case he has re-listed it with a buy it now of $5,000

That is a tipical mistake of using a coma instead of a period, I once did that bidding on a book, quite a shock when I bid $10 and saw that ebay counted it as $1000.
Gus

I sent a message to the seller and he included the term "Koenig'scher Rauchhelm" in his offer. Strangely after the first offer did not sell for $450 he reinlisted it with a starting bid of US $1,999.99.

From what I found over google this helmet was still being produced in the mid 1920s. Therefore differences such as the placement of the hoses are likely due to design modifications over time and not necessarily an indication of a replica. Personally I think that both helmets are probably original.

Hey Laurie,
I thought about it as it would protect my brain from being eaten by zombies like you, but I was informed that I have no brain, so I thought I would save myself some green (Here in the lower 48, we only save green, but you guys in the Great White North get to save many colours)

What I can not understand, the US$ is better than the Canadian $ (at this time), but the beer we can buy with the US$ is crap compaired to the beer you guys can buy with the Canadian $, it is not fair.
Gus

Clearly we should move the SOS to Canada. Not only is the beer better but, if you pick your timing, the weather is quite agreeable.

Cheers,

L.

The weather can not be any worse than it is in Kentucky, we have had ice storms, blizzards, wind rain and zombies. the only problem, I suspect that the athorities would object to the number of firearms that are at the show.

In what may be a vain attempt to steer this thread "on topic," the following may be of interest. Last night, I watched the surviving episodes of The Quatermass Experiment, a BBC television serial from 1953. What grabbed my attention was the helmet fitted to the pressure suits worn by the BERG (British Experimental Rocket Group) astronauts. Compare the prop helmet with the eBay offering:

quatermass1.jpg

mask1.jpg

quatermass9.jpg

mask2.jpg

Being a devotee of Quatermass and its creator, Nigel Kneale, I know the special effects budget for the program was nonexistent. Consequently, I believe the BBC costume helmets were most likely a British made variation of the German "Rauchhelm" and an industrial breathing apparatus (as opposed to anything military).

Not only is that the same model, it could be the same helmet, it is interesting to see a period photo (from any period) even if it is a movie still.

Back