Pickelhaube M95 EM - Landwehr Infanterie Rgt. 53

Lars13

Once again, a new addition not based on helmet quality but on regimental association. One of my great-uncles was in this unit in 1915; unfortunately I don’t have a picture of him in LIR 53 (which puts the helmet outside my collection scope, however I do cheat on my own rules from time to time :D ). LIR 53 was outfitted with field grey uniforms and Pickelhauben when mobilised on 3.8.1914.

Clearly marked “B.A. VII 1910” on the rear visor and “L.I.R. 53 1910” inside the skull. No other acceptance marks visible, seemingly indicating that this helmet was directly issued to LIR 53 by VII. AK Bekleidungsamt without being issued to an active unit first. The oval maker’s mark is unreadable, but seems to say BERLIN which I didn’t expect as there were a lot of helmet makers in Westfalen (VII. AK district).

The helmet has several issues: the shape of the lower rim of the skull is “broken” near the right hand Kokarde, the stitching on the visors is broken and at least half of the rear visor is glued (which was brought out by the flash of the camera when I took the picture of the BA VII marking), there is a dent on the rear skull and the Spitze and rear spine have been taken off at some time and might not be original to the helmet.

On the positive side the Knöpfe 91 look originally fixed to the helmet, as does the chin strap (dents in front visor correspond with the chin strap buckles) and the Kokarden as they all fit tightly together. There is a faint Wappen ghost visible on the front, but that doesn’t tell me if this is the original Wappen as an additional Landwehr cross would result in the same ghost shape.

The price I paid for the helmet is almost the same as the value of the chin strap, Kokarden and Wappen combined, which explains why unfortunately so many helmets are slaughtered and sold as parts.

Regards, Lars

View attachment 3View attachment 2View attachment 1

Joe, if the unit marking is of interest you’re welcome to add it to your list; I’m already in the contributors list

Chin strap looks original and in very good condition. :thumb up: The helmet needs to be humidified and blocked back into shape. Look in the restoration section where there is a description of how to do this using 2 plastic bags and wet newspaper.

Congratulations on finding a great looking helmet from your great-uncle's unit! That took a lot of patience, dedication, and searching! =D> :bravo:

Best Regards,

Alan

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Brian,

Thanks for your advice. The helmet is quite thin and flexible, and I feel that the forces that caused the distortion are still at play, i.e. the rear visor that wants to flatten out, which is checked by the front visor not moving at all, hence the concentrated force in the area between front and rear visor.

Regards,

Lars

b.loree said:
Chin strap looks original and in very good condition. :thumb up: The helmet needs to be humidified and blocked back into shape. Look in the restoration section where there is a description of how to do this using 2 plastic bags and wet newspaper.
Sound advise!! Following these instructions will put your helmet into shape. It may take a couple years to reform but it will be worth it don't go too fast as the end result will be well worth it. Pre war enlisted helmets are my favorite.
Jerry

Jerry made a very good point when he says not to rush the re-shaping. With a 100+ year old helmet, a year or two is nothing. Do NOT for it on a styrofoam head. If you need to use one, cover it with a ph-neutral barrier. Styro will destroy a helmet's liner very quickly.

:D Ron

I couldn't resist this postcard from LIR 53 dated 5.5.1916 (the regiment was in the trenches in the Noyon-Roye area in France at the time): normally only covered Pickelhauben are visible in the trenches, but here the cover was used to suspend the helmet from the back-pack, exposing the black leather liner and battered front visor trim typical for an M95 or earlier Pickelhaube, like the one in my collection :wink:

Regards,
Lars
View attachment 1

Back