Pickelhaube renovation

Naprawiacz

There is nothing more I can do with this object.

Attachments

• DSC06111.JPG
    DSC06111.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC06160.JPG
    DSC06160.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC06166.JPG
    DSC06166.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC06102.JPG
    DSC06102.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • DSC06163.JPG
    DSC06163.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC06106.JPG
    DSC06106.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC06168.JPG
    DSC06168.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC06112.JPG
    DSC06112.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC06165.JPG
    DSC06165.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
You restore many things that are way beyond my skills Wojtek! 😊 One question…do you use a paint brush to apply the old shellac back onto the shell? This is what I do, I use a brush.

You restore many things that are way beyond my skills Wojtek! 😊 One question…do you use a paint brush to apply the old shellac back onto the shell? This is what I do, I use a brush.
Brian I use a brush just like you.A colleague keeps urging me to paint with a roller,but I have the impression that after such painting small bubbles are formed.

I agree Wojtek....I have been asked...why don't you use "an air brush" ? I have no interest in having to clean out shellac from an air brush every time, I put some finish on a helmet! I would not use a roller either as they leave a "pebble" finish on painted walls. I think even a sponge roller would do this. My belief is that the older pre 1880's helmets had "brushed" finish which was then buffed/ polished to remove marks. After "spraying" was invented, the helmets were sprayed and then buffed to a perfect shine. What do you think?

I agree Wojtek....I have been asked...why don't you use "an air brush" ? I have no interest in having to clean out shellac from an air brush every time, I put some finish on a helmet! I would not use a roller either as they leave a "pebble" finish on painted walls. I think even a sponge roller would do this. My belief is that the older pre 1880's helmets had "brushed" finish which was then buffed/ polished to remove marks. After "spraying" was invented, the helmets were sprayed and then buffed to a perfect shine. What do you think?
Interestingly, I also gently sand the shellac as something does not suit me and apply another layer.Finally, I gently lubricate with black paste from Bundeswehr and polish.In different places on the globe we come to the same conclusions.

Yes, indeed we do come up with the same conclusions about how to solve these 'hauben" problems Wojtek. We both like the challenges of these restorations of old helmets. :) Like you, I also finish off with black paste and polish the helmet. My black paste does not come from the Bundeswehr however. I wish you all the best Wojtek, it is a pleasure to have you here on this forum. Keep posting your projects! (y)

Using an airbrush would be problematic.
You would have to thin the shellac in order to go through the gun so it would be a waste of time.
I am convinced that the way these haubes were made, the leather shells were dipped into the black protected mix.
If it were painted on back then there would be brush marks that would have to be sanded out.
The only way to get a smooth surface on the outside of the shells is by dipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense Mathew…dip the shell, allow to dry then punch out all the holes for the fittings and assemble.

Back