Pickelhaube repair

Looks good, but is it the correct size? The front visor guard and the rear spine come in different sizes to fit the helmet. Some times the size is marked on them, either on the top tab (one that goes under the spike base) or on the bottom (the one the rap around the edge of the rear visor). Good luck.

Finding the correct length and curvature is the real challenge, the soldered prong in the middle can be moved. I speak from experience, you could buy 6 of these and still not get one to fit your helmet....front visor trim is the same. The other factor with M15 replacement fittings is colour/patina. That spine may fit but the patina does not match your other fittings, so the replacement is very obvious.

b.loree said:
you could buy 6 of these and still not get one to fit your helmet..

I have found a rear spine marked with a 7, so I assume there was at least 7 different sizes. I'm still trying to collect enough data on spines to come up with a sizing chart.

My opinion is that I would not try to complete this helmet....It will cost you a lot of money and work for not a very good result...The shell is not the one that I would choose, without any good markings of a Garde unit... I would wait till a good and complete, well marked M15 Garde Haube comes along...Just my two cents....

Philippe
:wink:

Yes over the cost of reassembling this helmet may be more than the price of a complete one, however, putting it together might be fun. I would put the helmet on a shelf, then as I visited gun shows, looked over eBay, or crawled through some dusty old shop, I would keep and eye out for a part needed for the helmet. After time you'll get the parts and complete the helmet on your terms.

Prussian Garde said:
Ok, if I could fully restore it, how much could I get for it

The common value of a very good untouched and complete M15 Garde-helmet, clearly regimentally marked is about between 1000 and 1300 Euro in Europe. It means about 1200-1500 US$. But then you have some good stuff and not a parts-helmet without history...

Philippe
:)

Ok. So maybe I could get it for around like 750-800? I just bought a national cockade. If anyone can confirm anything about it, please do so1FD13674-1991-48B1-8383-129C995A69BA.png9813BE03-6BB5-48DF-8AE9-35EE0DF70F34.png

Unfortunately, that cockade has been repainted...look at the wavy white circle....no good. There is a cockade/kokarde section here on the forum with lots of pictures of original kokarden. The value of anything is only what somebody else will pay you for it. Unfortunately, you bought a helmet without knowing what was wrong with it, hopefully you did not pay too much. All of us collectors go through this learning curve, we have all been burned when getting started. The best thing to do... post anything you are looking to buy here on the forum, let us take a look and give opinions. We can save you thousands$$$.

This was my first time buying a Pickelhaube. I planned on doing this as an investment and restoring it for more money and then selling it. Is there any other tips you can give me about restoring pickelhaubes?

I could have purchased a stone mint M15 Garde Pickelhaube helmet at a show recently for $1000, and probably less. I passed, as did everyone else, because it had a repro chinstrap. Not worth the effort in trying to find the same condition chinstrap.

My advice is to stop trying to restore this helmet, as your "investment" may not pay off.

Ok, I’ve decided what I am going to do with the helmet, I am going to buy an original front Garde plate that matches the color of all of the other pieces that are already on the helmet, I am going to sell it as a for parts helmet around 650-800. I have found a Garde front plate that is gold, again I am just going to buy one that matches the color that is already on the helmet, just let me know what you think of this plate and if you think that what I am planning on doing is good or bad, thank you.EB98FF1A-8270-46FC-95C7-C03E1F6D58FC.png9BC8D98A-CACB-4818-BC75-7F0FFE376606.png

Back