Pickelhaube Sachsen 1867 Offizier

Hello All

This my first post in Forum , I living in germany and my interests are militaria before 1916 , leather Pickelhauben :D .

Will show you my last find : Pickelhaube Sachsen Offizier 1867 .

Have never seen before Kokarde like this , can you tell my which period used offiziere this kokarde ? .

Have you allready seen this Linner ?

I would be great to see soldier Picture with this Helmet ! :)

Welcome to the forum! Very interesting piece there. I think the cockade might actually be from an earlier time. I have seen it before but they were in much worse shape. As far as the liner I have seen them twice before – both in private purchase Bavarian helmets. Much later. Maybe Larry knows the cutoff dates – Bertram probably does – these early helmets are not that well documented. I assume you have looked in Pietsch?

Yes, a very interesting helmet that is rare to find in an un-updated state. Although rare, I've certainly seen cloth cockades used in this era...late 1860's...

Welcome to the forum Helmmitspitze....First, I want to have this helmet sitting on my collector shelf :D a very, very nice example. :thumb up: As far as the kokarde is concerned perhaps it is just an example of a private purchase by an officer, interestingly it is mounted on the left, rather than the right side as the Prussian helmets. I have a Mecklenburg dragoon helmet of the same era (I believe the 1868 pattern) with a similar cloth kokarde, perhaps of woven silk, it is mounted on the right hand side. For the liner, again, just an officers choice, I looked through the collection and found a Prussian 1860 officer with a similar leather band (although the cloth is now missing), an 1867 Prussian officer with a black leather band but with red cloth and an 1860 Landwehr officers Tschako with black silk. As a contrast my 1857 Prussian officer helmet has a more standard, or usually encountered style with the individual leather extensions.

I wonder though if this cloth style kokarde didn't serve as the inspiration for the unique Saxon pattern kokarde later produced in metal? Did you look inside for a name?

I do have a period CDV image of a Saxon soldier wearing this pattern helmet which I will try and post here over the weekend.

Cheers

Larmo

Here is the image of the Saxon soldier I mentioned, my apologies for the poor condition quality, as the cdv is a bit battered a bit from age, but at present he is my only Saxon soldier wearing a pickelhaube from the 1870-1871 War era.
4mpa.jpg
amwr.jpg

I also included two photos of kokarden, the Saxon one is from an 1867 Garde Reiter helmet (1878 date in the neckguard) and the Mecklenburg example from a Dragoon helmet for comparison.
69bq.jpg
lofk.jpg

Welcome!

Beautiful and interesting helmet in a very good shape :thumb up:
I am very curious about the back of the plate and its fixations :eek:
Screw posts or same pattern as the M67 prussian plates with two brass slides?

Philippe

Thanks all for friendly greeting , and you opinions ! .

My books say nothing about early pickelhauben like this .

Very nice to know now the helmet is in the state bevore 1871 , this my first pickelhaube from this period , maybe he was 1870/1871 in france 8) .

Im too really really curious to see the pickelhaube inside , bud 'm scared when opening lining be damage , it ist very thin and hard :help: .

Thank you larmo for the pictures , very nice Sachsen soldier Photo ! :thumbleft: it would be something for me .

Is the Mecklenburg Dragoner Offizier or enlisted man ? very interesting .

I found 2 Sachsen pickelhauben 1867 on german dealer Weitze , he write "at 1870" bud the cockades I think are later period .

https://www.weitze.net/detail/49/Sachsen_Pickelhaube_Modell_1867_fuer_Unteroffiziere_der_Reserve_Infanterie__204749_e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on this helmet he write "at 1868" , bud the cocarde is like my another Sachsen artyllery 1895 :-k

https://www.weitze.net/detail/85/Sachsen_Pickelhaube_Modell_1867_fuer_Mannschaften_Infanterie__172185_e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sachsen get Pickelhauben 1867 , iwill find out if the cocarde on my helmet is very first pattern on Sachsen pickelhauben or this is just Offizier Model .

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the photos of your helmet. Very nice indeed! I have a Swedish officer Pickelhaube with a cloth cockade on the right side as well.

:D Ron

Welcome Spitze! Your kokarde looks like ribbed silk to me. The whole helmet is excellent, fantastic condition considering its age. I have never seen a silk kokarde on any helmet before. I have seen painted leather ones on M1842's. I would mention though, that this ribbed silk or coloured cloth kokade idea has been used on military hats since approx the early 1700's ( a guess).

Back