Pickelhaube - Ulans - and a bit more

Mike9999

Snapped this photo of my in-process helmet, as it was sitting in front of a photo I picked up at an antique store a few years ago. They had it labeled as a Band picture.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~masullivan/Pickle-Picture.jpg

Photo is of:
Eskadron 4
Kgl. Bayerisches 1st. Ulanen-Regiment - Kaiser Wilhelm II. König von Preußen Headquarters - Bamberg
Formed - 21.12.1863
Attached to the II Bayerisches Armee Korps
Dated 1907-10

Lots of pickelhaubes! I believe these pictures were obtained or given to retiring members of the Regiment? Perhaps someone can confirm this. The reflections are from the glass. It is actually in near mint condition.

Other accessories are French 37mm. HE Shell and a presentation version of the US 'VB' Grenade as used with the MkIII Grenade cup launcher for the US M1917 rifle.

Thought this might be of interest, but maybe this should be in the WW1 Forum?

- Mike

I believe these pictures were obtained or given to retiring members of the Regiment?

Mike,

These were actually souvenirs of a specific year group of "draftees" who had finished their active-duty time. They still had reserve time -- Landwehr time -- and Landsturm time. Extremely popular photos that were "put together" by a photographer and then pasted to a backboard.

Nice picture!

Hi Mike:

Thank you for sharing your display. The ordnance positively gleams.

I see now why you inquired regarding the differences between Pickelhaube and Tschako Wappen.

Chas. :thumb up:

Thanks Joe, Chas...

Appreciate your clearing up the background of the photo Joe. I was never quite sure what stage it fit into.

Yes, Chas, that's what was behind my tschako question. However, the bird in the photo is, I believe a tschako piece. But he does not have a clipped beak. Regardless, the fit isn't correct so my hunt goes on!

The grenade maker (on the nametag) is 'Spacke Machine Co.' They made motorcycles and engines for Sear's motorcycles from 1911 to 1914, then made their own until 1923.

Best regards!
- Mike

Mike9999 said:
I believe a tschako piece. But he does not have a clipped beak.
Hi Mike:

I agree. Not all Tschako Wappen feature the clipped beak. In fact, Tony has identified the example in his photo is a Tschapka eagle (see how the eagle is more convex than yours).

This is a M15 Jäger Bataillon 8 from my collection. Our birds are twins.

PICT0544.jpg

Chas.

Hi Chas -

That's a beauty. I'm trying not to get caught up in this. It's bad enough maintaining the steel pots in the collection! Have a 99% complete set of WW1 era French (and other country) Adrian helmets. They are fine 9-10 months of the years but when we get the hot humid summer they cry out for help. :eek:

Say, can you (or any other of the board members) tell me why there are the small holes behind the chinstrap post? There is a mate to it in the same place on the opposite side. I haven't seen this (yet) in any of the examples on the sites. Something to do with the conversion from M95 to M15 perhaps?

- Mike

Hi Mike....nice display! Regarding those holes, they should not be there. They are non regulation to haube construction. Someone has punched them in but I have no explanation as to why. Brian

Hi Brian -

Thanks very much for the compliment. I wonder, this being 1918 dated and with the very thin, pieced together liner, if they weren't reusing pieces from earlier helmets. The holes don't go all the way through. The are just in the outer layer.

After a closer inspection, it appear that the reused leather pieces have been reversed and the holes are where the original pins (nomenclature?) for the front visor would have been.

- Mike

Back