Pickelhaube wish list

08/15

I could use some advice from you "old hands" out there. I'm new to this hobby (having decided last year that it would be a good idea to get out of 3rd Reich stuff) and have been starting with a basic collection with the more common Pickelhaubes at affordable prices. But I've looked with envy at the beautiful stuff that's been posted on this forum, as well as the high-end stuff on websites like Weitze and auctions like Hermann Historica. Dream on....

Anyway, I have a major birthday (count multiple decades) coming up, and my lovely wife has just told me that she wants to give me something special: the pickelhaube of my dreams. I just have to tell her where to buy it, and the upper limit is around $2,500. Wow! This almost makes getting old worthwhile.

Now my problem is I don't know where to start. There are too many possibilities. If any of you can give me your opinions on the following, I would be very grateful:

1. If you were in my shoes, what single type would you add to "lift up" a basic collection consisting of "normal" pickelhaubes (mostly M1915s, felts, and basic Prussian officer)?

2. Which high-end dealers out there (I guess mainly in Germany) has the best reputation for fair dealing and quality?

3. Do you know of any specific helmet in my price range that's listed for sale somewhere that you recommend I take a look at?

Sorry for this lengthy post. But if you have a few idle moments, please send me your thoughts. This is a great forum, and I look forward to your knowledgeable opinions.

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

FG,
Great question that we all struggle with. We all have opinios on this. Not any answers. My 2 cents is that you should collect what you want. My favorite helmet is an ersatz pioneer officer. I also collect 137 stuff for no good reason.

I think the best way to buy a helmet is through contacts with other collectors. That is the best sales point for SOS 07. Meetiing and getting relationships with the other collectors IMHO is the best way to float a want list. I am working an IR109th officers from a collection shownat SOS. I think you will get a fair price this way too. Another advantage of collectors and especially this forum is getting many sets of eyes on the item and price. YOU WILL MISS STUFF. You get opinions. Some good some less good.

Dealers: I am biased and very partial to Ago of Kings.
http://ageofkingsmilitaria.com/index.html
If you register YOUR wants with them Randy will help you find it at a good price. Some people do not agree. Weitze is good but expensive as are the German auction houses. I hope this start helps.

I ageee with Joe ,mayne look at pixs of haubes and see what you like. MyFavourite I have seen wa an M95 OR' s Pioneer Baden it had the Shovel and Pick in the shield .It was all in Silver trim .

http://www.militaria-online.de/eng.html

Here is a site that has some neat stuff . I feel Sorry for you ,but good luck and have fun

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful posts, and for the links to a couple of very good websites which seem a better alternative to Herr Weitze. I guess the basic message that you're all giving me is: go for what appeals to me. That makes good sense.

I also agree -- I need to ditch my Internet handle from my 3rd Reich collecting days and get something properly Imperial. I'm working on it....

Good luck FG34. Can you plan a collection? Do you usually get what you were looking for?.. Not in my experience. Opportunities arrive and you take them. Chance and serendipity are almost everything, and make most of the fun of it (a layman offered for sale, about 8 years ago, a "prussian officer helmet"; when I saw the pictures it turned out to be a sumptuous, untouched EM's helmet of the 18th Mecklemburg Dragoner Regiment... ). Although I do not feel entitled to give advice I would say be patient, do not rush, be very cautious and be ready ot make a few mistakes. This is how you'll learn.
Bruno

911car said:
Good luck FG34.
Bruno

Hey Bruno,
Are we slowly moving Fg42 back to the date of Imperial Germany?
It is nice to have another one come over from the "Dark side".
Gus

Hi:
I would echo Brunos' thoughts. Part of the big thrill in this hobby is the chase, tracking something down, negotiating. This is the stuff of memories rather than walking into Wietzes cyber shop and handing him $2500. I look at the 53 helmets in my collection and all of them have a memory or experience which comes to mind. Some I did buy off of dealers' shelves but many I discovered in antique shops and bought off of private individuals whose ancestors brought them back. These are the ones that mean the most to me. So take your time, handle as many helmets as you can, learn as much as possible and always buy quality items. Lastly, we are here to help. Brian

Back