Pickelhaube Wuerttemberg

Grestro

Hello everybody. I´m new here and I really need some help. I received this Wuerttemberg Pickelhaube the other day. I´m not an expert at all, but I think that some things don´t really fit together. Nevertheless the former owner told me, it was an original. May be a “late” and hardly worn privat purchase helmet or something like this?

Here´s a brief explanation:

- The helmet isn´t made out of leather, I think the corpus is made out of “blech”
- The spike can be removed
- The visor is green inside, the nackenschirm red inside
- At the inner side of the nackenschirm you can find a stamp 1918
- The whole helmet looks pretty “new”, especially the leather inside
- The helmet has no leather chin strap but a schuppenkette
- On the right side, there is the cockade of Wuerttemberg, on the left side there is the Prussian cockade???

Please have a look at the pictures, too:

http://www.vogesenkaempfe14-18.de/pickelhaube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So what do you say? Am I the proud owner of a fake? Any help appreciated. Please excuse my bad English!

Thanks in advance!
Best regards from Germany!!
Alex

Alex- welcome to the forum!!

Sorry to say there is not much correct on this one, that is a post war liner for some other type of helmet.

the visors are officer type and would not have stamps like this on them?

Spike does not look right?

Nuts on inside appear to be modern?

There are more issues.

I would see if you can get your oeny back.....

Again welcome to the forum, wish I had better news.

James

Welcome to the forum! You did the right thing to join to ask questions that many forum members here will gladly answer. As for your Wuerttemberg helmet, I agree with James that there are many issues about your helmet that are not right. You may want to visit the following site, which is a great resource about pickelhaubes to start with.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best regards :wave:

Edwin

Hi James, hi Edwin,

thanks a lot for your quick replies, the warm welcome and the good advice!

Best regards from Germany

Alex

Welcome to the forum! :)

James probably hit the nail on the head. My thoughts are also that the stamps are bogus and that the helmet was made later. If it was for somebody from Wurtemburg, I would guess it was made in the late 1920's or 1930's. On the other hand, the shell looks like a Swedish Guard's helmet in profile and may have been modified with a different Wappen, etc. Except that the Swedish one I have (modern) has a Kreutzblat, rather than rund spike base. Of course, this one could be earlier with a round base... (?). Either way, it doesn't quite sit well with me either.

Any photos of the spike removed? That would be interesting.

:D Ron

Okay, looking again, I see extra holes where there was a cross base for the spike. I'm almost certain it's Swedish made to look like a Wurtemburg helmet.

Ron

Hi Ron,

thanks for your reply! That sounds strange, a Wuerttemberger from Sweden, may be made by Ikea!:))
I thank you for every little hint in this case!!

Voilà, a quick and dirty picture with the spike removed:

http://www.vogesenkaempfe14-18.de/spike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again, best regards from Germany,

Alex

Willkommen on this forum Alex! (best place in the whole world for collectors infected with the "Hauben-Virus") :D

Yes, the most important thing you can do now is try to get your "Thalers" back...
Obviously a "Lehrbuch" fake... :ANGRY:
Schöne Grüße nach BW aus SH ! :wink:

Philippe :salute:

Hello again! OK, I thinkthe "Ikea Helmet File" can be closed. I can give back the Wuerttemberg lookalike and I will get my money back. Thanks again for all the helpfull postings. My next question will becoming, soon!:))

Best regards,

Alex

Back