Pickelhauben at the Fort de la Pompelle Museum

chrispaulodale

I noticed someone had taken lots of photos of their Pickelhauben here-

http://liberty-group.forumactif.org/t2253p15-fort-de-la-pompelle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't wait to visit that place someday.

Cheers
Chris

No wonder Lacarde used it as the source of so many pictures in his two volumes.

I've been there several years ago and took almost 500 pictures. Too bad it was in the pre-digital times... It's a very impressive collection and I'm certainly going back one day...

Adler

I've been there twice.
Me and the Missus go back in September to celebrate my retirement... :greentank:
I make sure I take a camcorder to make the first "Pickelhaube Movie" ever...
Great place to stay: http://www.closerie-des-sacres.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rgds,
Francis

That is indeed a very fine collection with a lot of rare helmets. Thanks for sharing!

Regards :wave:

Edwin

The whole headgear collection was gathered in the city of Nantes (Western France) by a single man, Charles Friese, at a time when the value of these items was close to zero. The collection was then donated to Fort de la Pompelle. There was a long-gone time when I could go there and ask the shelves to be opened for me, so that I could examine a helmet. This should not been possible nowadays!
Bruno

911car said:
The whole headgear collection was gathered in the city of Nantes (Western France) by a single man, Charles Friese, at a time when the value of these items was close to zero. The collection was then donated to Fort de la Pompelle. There was a long-gone time when I could go there and ask the shelves to be opened for me, so that I could examine a helmet. This should not been possible nowadays!
Bruno

I wish the value was still close to zero and people would sell them a LOT cheaper than they do now. :) That museum is on my 'to do' list. One of these days we'll get there.

:D Ron

I'm curious about a couple of things:

1) Are most of those helmets sitting on their visors, or are there stands that allow the visors to just touch the shelf? :-k

2) Who is the group that hosts this page? They're French, aren't they?

Ron,
Conservation should be done better. I doubt that most are supported to prevent the visors and neckguards rest the shelves. :(
Rgds,
Francis

poniatowski said:
911car said:
Bruno

I wish the value was still close to zero and people would sell them a LOT cheaper than they do now. :) That museum is on my 'to do' list. One of these days we'll get there.

Hurry up, Ron; I heard from a reliable collector that, very sadly, the storage conditions are far from optimal and a number of helmets show signs of deterioration.

Maybe some of our European Pickelhaub.com'ers can come to the rescue. A few clear 'tumbler' glasses (donated from Karstad's :) ) for stands, maybe a laptop with a printer, some spray adhesive and foam core for new labels, etc. A weekend of cleaning, where needed, etc. :-k

Back