Pickelhaubes reference book - what books do you recommend?

Frozzer

Hi

I want to start a new direction in my collection and I decide to collect prussian pickelhaubes.
I want to buy some references book - but there is a lot of books on market and I don't know what to chose.

Maybe You can recommend me any good book, with good quality photos?

Thanks
Michal

Have a look at this one:
http://www.kaiserhelmets.com/field-guide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rgds,
Francis

http://www.pickelhauben.net/books.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a little bit dated but can be useful. My recommendations are highlighted and include the one that Kris linked. If you speak French you might find the books by Lacarde really good. Francis has done some translating work which makes it more palatable but my French is so so bad – Bruno and so many others have helped me. Fact is my French sucks.

Thank You Guys

This link which joerookery gave is very usefull.
I'm looking for books in english or polish - these languages only I know.
Maybe a bit german - but my german is very poor

I found few books available in Poland

Which of them should I buy first ?

"Deutsche Offiziershelme aus der Kaiserzeit, 1870–1918, Band 1"
"Deutsche Offiziershelme aus der Kaiserzeit, 1870–1918, Band 2"
"Spiked Helmets of Imperial Germany v.1"
"Spiked Helmets of Imperial Germany v.2"
"The German Cavalry from 1871 to 1914"
"The German Infantry from 1871 to 1914"
"The German Army in the First World War"
"Imperial German Military Officers' Helmets"

thanks

Although not a book, but the following site is great source of information:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Edwin

Quoting Schiavona: "Does this mean that we are all fallible?"

Well, Didier Laine told me once, as he was coaching the young, naïve, inexperienced collector I was then: "Whatever we learn, we all get screwed one day or the other"... I learned from him the uncompromising exigence for quality. Or at least I tried...
One of my very first coveted helmets was a slightly battered UR14 officer Tschapka. I managed to borrow the hat from the seller and rushed, all excited, to Didier's place... his verdict was blunt: "Yes it is genuine, but what a piece of sh.." said he, still not departing from his "Vieille France" gentleman attitude. Now I think that this helmet would make many a collector utterly happy, nowadays...
His collector room, in his beautiful apartment in the 7th in Paris (facing the Ministery of War, on the front of which the first conquered Prussian flag was hung in 1914) was Ali Baba's cave. I still own two of his helmets, and these are among the best in my collection.

Bruno

Hello Bruno,

His book helps you to learn and notice the differences in the helmets with his almost schematic pictures , but that's may opinion and let me also say know book / person is perfect

Schiavona13 said:
Hello Bruno,

His book helps you to learn and notice the differences in the helmets with his almost schematic pictures , but that's may opinion and let me also say know book / person is perfect

Hi Schiavona,
I'm afraid you misunderstood what I wrote... Sorry if I was not clear enough. I was not at all suggesting Laine and his books were perfect. I was just stating the opposite, that he was the first one to acknowledge that he was also faillible!!

joerookery said:
let me also say know book / person is perfect

Amen! He did not go into the rear spine on Hessian Helmets. I remember nitpicking about this.

Hi Joe,
Much more than that!! In Laine's original book (quoted by Schiavona), there was a leaflet added mentioning no less than 13 mistakes he had spotted after the book was published...
Bruno

Bruno,

I have never seen the leaflet. Bookmaking is not an easy process. I am sure the mistakes made him angry.

Well, he was a professional editor/printer, before being a hat collector. Therefore he was familiar with "coquilles" ("shells", the familiar French word for an error in a printed text).
I will have this leaflet scanned and sent to you, Joe.
Bruno

"coquilles" ("shells", the familiar French word for an error in a printed text

Thank you Bruno. We turn over our next manuscript to the publisher on the 18th. Janet and an entire team of educated people have been looking at the 700 pages and still finding shells – a lot of them. We are not professionals and this is a really frustrating and slow process.

Back