Pictures of Uhlans

PICKELMAX

More than 250 pictures of Uhlans, here :

https://goo.gl/photos/Rzik3AUKqaeMvGbc8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy, friends!

Thanks PICKELMAX

The sight of the Uhlans in parade positions is impressive.

Thankyou for sharing

Cheers Steve

qKjsTIzxt2umJsGNys0ZPQMe89dNHY83BeuVQCWwKJYbqQU4Putbgz5Ww_Pceo7DHBT-6rVzy6iLRQyuqoVv9UcBmZ3olbEWfnb1u-l_s3bNE0bIDB9JmGfDyHZ25zSq1j2tJQ=w1004-h651-no

Thanks for sharing, many years ago I was able to interview an Uhlan. In 1916 his whole troop was transferred to the artillery as team drivers.

That makes total sense....no use for death and glory lancers in the high tech WW1 killing machine. Must have been quite depressing though for those guys to be transferred into "horse transport". Thanks for the link Max!

Although he was unhappy about the transfer he did recognize that he more than likely saved his life. He was very proud to have been an Ülan.

De rien, Maxime.
I do not know much about guns. I can see that one of the standing uhlans, on this picture, bears a P08. But, out of curiosity, what are these small pistols at the belt of some of the seated men, notably #2 from right? I often see these short handguns on period pictures, notably of uhlans. Can somebody explain to me?

Max

Thank you for sharing your photograph collection of Ulans! There are two or three images that look like that date from the 1890's where the enlisted soldier is wearing what appears to be his Tschapka cords looped and across his chest. Is there a name for this practice, and when would the cord be worn like this? Thanks. Joe

That's a good question Joe!

I've no clear answer because I did not find any official regulations about this way to worn the Fangschnur.

It seems to be a personnal and particular way to worn the Parade uniform during the early 1880's to the 1900's, especially for some cabinet portraits. Perhaps it was not allowed by the official regulations. I keep on searching!

https://goo.gl/photos/7Y2uLyouCZECgpAC8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://goo.gl/photos/1nCcW8fSPYaB1Q5F6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second picture: Photo Studio in Salzwedel: Standort: Ulanen-Regiment „Hennigs von Treffenfeld“ (Altmärkisches) Nr. 16
Perhaps this way of wearing the Fangschnur was special for this Regiment???

A famous Regiment !

Von Bredow's "Death Ride" - Totenrit:

The Battle of Mars-La-Tour is also notable for one of the very last successful cavalry charges of modern warfare.[1] Harassed by French artillery each time he redeployed his forces following a French attack, his infantry reserves exhausted and fearing that his shaky left flank was about to be charged by French cavalry, General von Alvensleben sent a message to the commander of the nearby 12th Cavalry Brigade, Major-General Friedrich Wilhelm Adalbert von Bredow, demanding that he silence French General François Canrobert's artillery and forestall a French cavalry charge with one of his own.

Noting that "it will cost what it will", von Bredow took his time to organize the brigade, consisting of the 7th Cuirassiers, 19th Dragoons, and 16th Uhlans. In what would become known as "Von Bredow's Death Ride", the cavalrymen rode out from Prussian lines at 14:00, von Bredow using the terrain and gun smoke to mask movements from French observers until the very last moment. Bursting into view some 1000 meters from the French lines, the Prussian cavalry charged into and broke through the French gun lines, causing widespread panic and scattering Canrobert's soldiers in all directions. Two brigades of French cavalry attempted to counter-charge into Bredow's flank and rear, but were partially dispersed by Canrobert's infantry, who gunned down any cavalrymen they could see without discrimination.

Having silenced the French artillery, neutralized the French cavalry, and panicked the French infantry, von Bredow's brigade managed to extricate itself and withdrew to their own lines. Of the 800 horsemen who had started out, only 420 returned.[1] Among the wounded from the 12th Brigade was Lieutenant Herbert von Bismarck, son of the Prussian chancellor Otto von Bismarck

Max,

Perhaps it was not allowed by the official regulations. I keep on searching!

I certainly get that impression. The method of wear is detailed in the 1896 clothing regulations and it simply states that the cord should be worn around the neck at the lower edge of the collar. No mention is made of this elaborate knotting of the cords across the chest

fangschnur.jpg

Regards
Glenn

Back