Pictures SOS 2019

Both helmets belong to Alan (Czech Legion) and he has posted photos and text previously on each of them.

Hi Philippe & Brian,

Yes, the Mecklenburg-Schwerin D.R. 18 helmet has been posted previously. I may have to add photos of it with the curved chinscales and the Mecklenburg-Schwerin kokarde that I added to the helmet since initially posting it a few years ago.

This JR153 helmet that Brian took photos of the exterior has not been posted yet. I'll have to do it sometime over the next day. This Wappen was taken off the previously posted "B.A.I.V." marked helmet shell and placed on the shell of this helmet Brian posted the photo of here. The front plate fit perfectly! The helmet body shown here is actually marked "B.A.I.V." + "J.R.153" + "1B" + "1916" on the underside of the back visor. I acquired this helmet a couple of weeks ago. When I purchased it there was an incorrect wartime Jaeger zu Pferde front plate wired on to the front of the helmet shell. It also had an incorrect Artillery Ball top on the helmet. You can see the faint outline of the incorrect Jaeger zu ZPferde front plate in the area where the head of the JR153 eagle sits on the helmet. If you look closely you can also see some of the 6 tiny holes where the wire ran through the helmet body to hold the old Jaeger zu Pferde front plate onto the helmet. The front plate was missing the wire loops on the backside.

I have photos of what the helmet looked like when I acquired it with the incorrect Jaeger zu Pferde front plate wired on to it and the incorrect M15 Artillery Ball top on it as well. I will post these photos in a separate thread under the "new helmets" section at the top of the forum sometime in the next day or so.

Best Regards,

Alan

Hi Brian,

Thanks a million for taking the time to not only shoot all of these photos, but also the labor of love involved in posting them all for us to see here. =D> :bravo:

This is the first time that I attended the show and did not walk around to see the entire show several times over. I only visited a handful of specific dealers that I knew the location of their tables in the hall. I ended up staying mostly at my table selling things. :(

This is also sadly the 3rd year that I've taken my camera and did not take a single photo with it again while at the show. :(

I can't emphasize enough to thank Brian for all the work he does taking these photos and posting them for us to see. Taking the photos is a great amount of work and also a distraction for someone trying to walk around the show and see things compared to simply walking around and trying to find things to purchase. It also takes a great deal of time in editing the photos and posting them here for us to see. Again, a big Salute to Brian for all his work here that he so kindly shares with us! =D> :salute: :bravo:

Best Regards,

Alan

Pictured above, in the first set of photos, is a Bavarian officers helmet with silver fittings.
It has the large Model 1886 Bavarian Wappen.
Does anybody know what this helmet is ???

John :?

John, that Bavarian helmet has the wrong spike. It should have the fluted type of spike and the silk canvas is missing. I think the mounting holes have been enlarged as well. It is on a dealer's table and I think he wants $1200 for it. I cannot see the value of it when you have to get the parts to put onto it.

Tony without Kaiser said:
richesz28 said:
I found the prices were very negotiable, but indeed there were a lot of parts helmets. Brian's photo of the "The Older style Kurassier lacking a liner" ended up in my collection for way less than the listed price of $975.00 US. The seller was a collector who was downsizing and wanted it to go to another collector. Aside from the missing liner it is in very nice condition. Btw it is marked KR 4.

That was indeed a bargain if you can live with no liner. Are you going to try to locate a correct Kürassier eagle Wappen for it? Presently it has an 1871 pattern Foot Troops eagle.

Tony,

The correct pattern eagle is already in place. As far as the liner, I think I have one that will fit in my parts box. I not, it's okay since I really did get a bargain on this helmet.

Regards,

Richard

Many thanks Alan for your kind comments. We have a great world wide forum here and seeing the comments and excitement that the SOS pictures generate is well worth a bit of extra effort.

Amybellars said:
John, that Bavarian helmet has the wrong spike. It should have the fluted type of spike and the silk canvas is missing. I think the mounting holes have been enlarged as well. It is on a dealer's table and I think he wants $1200 for it. I cannot see the value of it when you have to get the parts to put onto it.

Yes, I noticed that it had an incorrect spike. I had seen this helmet before and it also has a strange Kokarde, similar to what an earlier Raupenhelm would have had. I wondered if anybody knew what it was, possibly Beamter, or just fantasy.

John :)

Amybellars said:
That bavarian aluminium officer has a fake liner. With the dealer who is from Europe and a fake liner, I have my doubts over the authenticity of the whole helmet. Not difficult to produce one which may cost him few hundred dollars, but an original case and put it up at $3000+.

There's also a regiment 22 fake ersatz at the show.

I'ved held this Bavarian helmet in my hands almost 9 months ago at a fair in Holland, from the same french dealer...
There was some wrong with it but I couldn't lay my finger on it.
I might be wrong but I always follow my first feeling and didn't bought it ...

What do you see wrong about this helmet then?
Here are a few pics of mine and to me it looks the same, only it's silver and not gold...

Adler

axf8dg.jpg

4t9it4.jpg

I have to agree with Adler, I loved this helmet and looked at in many times at the show, and almost bought it, but purchased some others instead and ran out of money.

This aluminum type is rare and there are other examples in some older collections that I know of.

Just My opinion and the opinion of some other well known collectors that it was good, and not sure what pictures people are looking at, but the spike was for sure fluted.

James

Sorry for my ignorance.

Adler, a beautiful helmet that you have.

Seems like the Bavarian army has used a lot of substitute materials for their officer helmets instead of just the leather and felt products.

Thank you.

Back