Pionier M95

A

Anonymous

Wie Gehts:

It was a toss up whether to post this under "Latest Find" or here, but I regarded this to be the more appropriate forum. I found this Pickelhaube recently on eBay. Everything is original and correct. The chinstrap was once black, but only traces of the finish remain. The chinstrap hardware is Neusilber. Though the unit stamp is faint, I believe this to be PB 8 (1. Rheinisches). I think it's a tremendous little helmet.

PICT0477.jpg

PICT0480.jpg

A closer look reveals the helmet was manufactured in 1915, but the maker's name is too blurry to be legible. The hole represents where the rear spine should be anchored, but the split prongs are "nicht mehr."

PICT0476.jpg

The unit stamp which appears to read "R P B 8."

PICT0474.jpg

Here's where things get a bit more interesting:

PICT0473.jpg

Impressed in the leather: "B.J.A. VIII 1918 F."

Chas.

Hi Tony:

Yes, 1918. I don't know exactly how to interpret that. I wish someone had a definitive understanding of "F." I think it would answer a great deal.

Chas.

epsomgreen said:
I wish someone had a definitive understanding of "F." I think it would answer a great deal.

Hmm... kinda like the word that followed my "What the..." when I saw an impressed 1918? :-#

I do not doubt this at all. I wonder what it is. Are there any other dates? Contrary to popular belief as you all know, the Pickelhaube was not withdrawn from service in 1915. The Pickelhaube was still to be worn with the Friendens-Uniform (Future Peacetime Uniforms) of which many exist. Theoretically, a Pickelhaube could have been made for a Friendens-Uniform right up until Nov 1918. But you'd think there would be enough around after they were withdrawn from combat? I wonder if that stamp means something else? By this time, ink stamps were almost universally used, although those pesky Saxons seemed to impress the longest.

Hi Tony:

I've been all over the helmet (behind the liner, etc.). The only other marking is the size, 57. Shell manufacture date, 1915. B.I.A. dated 1918. That's it. I had the chicken off earlier today. It, and the other fittings, are quite substantial. No thin stampings or signs of economy anywhere.

However, there's a thought, Frieden. Perhaps helmets designated "F" were intended for peacetime use and were converted or prepped by the B.I.A. for that purpose. Who would have anticipated the Kaiser's abdication in early 1918?

Are there any other F helmets amongst us? Are they dated?

Chas.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Mike earlier today, and I think he may have the correct answer with respect to "F." It certainly is less speculative than my Frieden theory. Mike will have to give you the details as to how he heard about this, but the insight is attributed to the master, Jean-Louis Larcade.

FELDBRAUCHBAR

Field wearable (or serviceable). Since we know the Beckleidungs-Instandsetzung-Amt were responsible for effecting repairs, helmets that could be returned to field service with, perhaps, little or no repair were designated "F" or "f."

Joe was on to this in his article where he suggested F stood for repaired. All we really needed was the correct term.

As for my helmet, there are some problems with the rear spine and neck visor, which may account for the classification. Now for the 1918 business......

Chas.

Back