Please enlighten me

Amybellars

Hi guys, need help on this item.

I have no clue on the marking but based on wappen I knew it belongs to the Grenadier regiment which they worn this old wappen until the late 1890s to the early 1900s, when the wappen was then replaced by the 'big eagle'.

Based on the marking, I think it belongs to the 5th grenadier regiment but what about the "1" infront?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2739.JPG
    IMG_2739.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2769.JPG
    IMG_2769.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2774.JPG
    IMG_2774.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
Translating regimental markings is more an art than a science, but this marking makes no sense to me. I would be inclined to read it as JR105, Infantry Regiment 105, which of course is a Saxon unit. Regiments were designated as either Infantry, Grenadier, or Fusilier, or Dragoon or Uhlan for that matter. To me, there would be no such thing as an Infantry Grenadier Regiment. I would be just as surprised to see an Infantry Uhlan marking. A more proper marking for the 5th Grenadier Regiment would be 5G.R., or 5Gr.R., or G.R.5 or Gr.R.5.
But that is just my opinion.

Steve

I agree with Steve. If I had a Luger with that unit mark, I would interpret it as 105th Infantry Regiment as is given in Jeff Noll's book on unit markings.

Amy:

Any chance that the mounting loops on the Wappen have been re-soldered to fit the Saxon hole spacing? Assuming that the helmet shell is actually a Saxon one?

Bit of a long shot. It's an odd marking certainly.

Hi guys thanks for the help.

Steve, I had one pic of the back of the plate and no movement of the loops. Seller is reliable and item comes from a collector who has passed on

I will do further research on it when I go back to Singapore from Australia in two weeks time.

Clearly not a Saxon helmet. As I said, unit markings can be pretty random and have little relation to the published regulations. The painted markings can be even more random than the stamped ones.

The black over-color (paint??) on it and the confusing markings just make me suspicious. Unless a good GR marking can be found inside of the liner or on the neck guard, I'd be very suspicious, even from a reputable dealer, who might have information that we don't. ... yet.

Hi,

I would say we have here a Waterloo helmet of the JR165. Typical markings of this unit at this special place of helmet. The wappen may have been lost and replaced by a wrong one...

Philippe
;)

joerob.jpg

I'm too late on this post ... 🙃

However, I have a few things to add. :To laugh hard:

Agree with Philippe, for the 165JR. (y) On the other hand, the implantation of the eyelets conforms to the Prussian eagle, (about 8cm apart) while the Saxon is only about 6cm, and they are placed lower.;)

The plate obviously has nothing to do with this helmet, it is a good eagle called "old regiments", which was on the helmets of Grenadiers of the line until 1889, when this eagle was replaced by the old eagle of the Grenadiers of the Guard (large eagle with outstretched wings, without star of the guard). So this eagle of the old regiments was never placed on an M91 or M95 infantry.

Attachments

• 165 JR  Waterloo.jpg
    165 JR Waterloo.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 3
Back