please explain this one to me

joerookery

Is that not a spike?

fri30oct0005.jpg

fri30oct0007.jpg

joerookery said:
Is that not a spike?

Of course. Only Bavarian Regts typically were named "Kgl" (King's) what-ever.

He is from Kgl. Bayer. 3. Fußartillerie-Regt. (Ingolstadt) III Bayerisches Armee Korps. LIST

Must be a squared front visor too and a Brandenburg cuff, just can't see it.

He is from Kgl. Bayer. 3. Fußartillerie-Regt. (Ingolstadt) III Bayerisches Armee Korps.

Well that makes sense. Thank you! I guess I was thrown by the visor and the KS on the division Mark. But it all makes sense now!

I know I am missing something simple–is that Oldenburg or is that 8? That would make them Dragoon not Ulan right? Helmets and jackets I am so confused…

ulan_spike.jpg

ulan_spike.jpg

ulan_spike_back.jpg

Once again it is those pesky Bavarians that are confusing the deal. However, Bavarians are minor-league compared to Hesse. They make my head hurt! :lol: :lol: :lol:

With reference to the Bavarian picture Joe, I can't tell you how often I've narrowed these (bayer.) guys down by their buttons. In a lot of pictures, the rampant lion stands out like a pea on a bald man's head compared to the Imperial Crown.

Now if I can add one of my own that's been troubling me for a while. Dragoner? There's a link underneath the photo if you want to scrutinise those shoulder straps in detail.

Cavalryman by drakegoodman, on Flickr.

Swedish cuffs, mounted troops belt & buckle and a K98. As well as cavalry breeches with the leather crotch. He is in a Regt in the Preußen order of battle, is that a 22 on his strap?

drakegoodman said:
Tony, I suspect your example is in better shape than his. Exquisite.

Brett,

Yea, a good one, shows 100+ years of age, but well-preserved like a 50+ MILF. In the photos, his would have been new. Can't imagine an actual "as issued" one.

:D ... and here's me thinking 'haube collectors were a little stiff (unlike us pic collector-animals). Love the MILF comment. Have to wipe the cornflakes off the monitor now.

Back