Please help identify this (Pickelhaube?) object

egbert

Found this object in the Vosges battlegrounds within the German lines at Sudelkopf. At first I thought it was a Pickelhaube, but now I doubt.....any suggestions?
The "helmet" is appr. 27 cm length, I see no holes for screws, many small holes surround the bottom part of the object, large (stanced?) hole on top. Please see pictures, "yard stick" is in centimeters
bm8xh5hp2ahpe33c2.jpg

bm8xhm5ltdbl925k2.jpg

bm8xi0rpvvok2d0gy.jpg

bm8xid7moiwi9kx42.jpg

bm8xisc5w1sodqqhu.jpg

bm8xj3d7wl63k7o2q.jpg

I'm having a guess but it looks like it may be part of a mortar round that could of been filled with inflammable or toxic chemicals.
Something like what a Livens Projector would fire.
:-k Steve

Honestly, I did not know- the basic materiel was cork????? Please excuse my stupidity, because I thought it was a steel basic materiel??!!

First off, your questions are not stupid and WWII M4A1 flak helmets were steel covered with fabric... so that technique was done.

Yes, I believe the WWI era pith helmets were cork (I'm not sure, but I think pith is another word for cork somewhere)... WWII styles (US) were pressed fiber.

So, keep asking questions, it's the only way to figure all of this out.

:D Ron

Egbert,

First and foremost welcome to this forum! It is always great to have someone of your knowledge contributing.

Some people have not jumped in because this is a tough one and the questions you have asked have led to Cork.

The base material was leather. Because of mobilization demands and a requirement to produce helmets quickly,ersatz materials were used to produce an entire group of helmets. Some of those ersatz materials were Filtz, steel, cork and even papier-mâché. Most of the times the leather or substitute helmets were covered with a cloth cover. The cork helmets came with a cover built-in.

rjr249.jpg

This picture shows a helmet made out of what ever material covered with a cloth cover that has identifying numbers on it.

The problem with your relic is that while it might possibly be a helmet it is way too hard to determine. The even spaced holes on the bottom make this even more problematic. Frankly I don't know what it is. Guys have been trying but this is a tough one. Again welcome!

Hello Egbert,
There were some steel Pickelhauben, but they were made of a much thinner gage steel, this object you have does not look like anything related to a spiked helmet, I think the suggestion that it may be the nose off a projectile is the best guess at this time.
Best
Gus

Thanks for the replies!
Well I think I must go on with the best guessing. If it is not a Pickelhaube, and I concur with your suggestions, it must be-----something else.... :(

Back