Please Help Identifying What I Think is an Uhlanen

mauihiu

Just picked this picture up today and was wondering if anyone can help me identify the unit. Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

This is not an Ulan! He wears a spiked helmet, not a Tschapka.
3 branches of German Cavalry wore the spiked helmet and were armed with the lance
Kuerassiere and Dragoner and Jaeger zu Pferde...
I cannot read what is on the Ueberzug.....76 ???
Perhaps this a posed photo and this is not a Cavalry man at all...
Sure that other users are skilled in identifying the uniform and equipment. Infantry or Cavalry...
Rgds,
Francis

He's wearing Cavalry boots... Seems like a dragoner to me, but not being an expert in uniform I can be wrong of course...

Adler

Great picture! Different helmet cover! My first would be a dragoon. We need a close-up of the helmet cover. Is there a brand on the horses hip? I think it was mostly on the other side. Definitely cavalry.

Francis, Of course it is not an Uhlan, I knew better, thanks for setting me straight! :D

It looks like the Uberzug has "RR? 76" I cannot quite make out the last letter.

Joe, Ever since I bought that first picture from you I have been inspired to grow a collection as fabulous as yours!

I know it: ........."Photoshop"
:lol:
No seriously.....Remonte Depot where "new" horses are trained for duty....
Francis

I think Francis might have it. There is another thought – without trying to be sexist – is this a woman? There are all sorts of pictures of women dressed as men. Never seen one with quite so much equipment though. Need a close-up scan. Very very nice picture. :thumb up:

PS anything on the back?

A note from Andi Lucas,

This gentleman belongs to Reserve-Kavallerie-Abteilung Nr.76 (76. Res. Div.). As you can see from the document below, this was a wartime offshoot of either GDR 23 or LDR 24... Hessian dragoons anyway.

https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothek.de/item/YQZFXKNTDN2IMBBLYAWHWZHMHKY6QG7X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His appearance is consistent with what Jürgen and I know about similar Saxon formations - basically the uniform of the parent regiment is worn, but the helmet cover ('RKA 76'?) is something we've never seen before. Very interesting indeed!

Joe,

Thanks for posting the note from Andi Lucas. Very interesting. I am trying to post the backside, having problems with photobucket...anyway it is postmarded 15.4.16 and stamped 10 Armee. Someone also wrote in pencil "Litauen" Which I tkae it to mean Lithuania. I will post it once I figure out what is going on with photobucket.

E

The image of the back of the card is not clear enough to be able to read, scans work much better than photos.

I do not see a woman in this foto, just a fresh faced young boy and yes, sometimes they do look like girls. In my opinion, there is too much tack and gear in this picture to be some sort of photographer's posed postkarte. I see Hessen in the address and it is obviously sent to his family. Unfortunately, I can not read German.

The "sender" is in the Genesungsabteilung der X Armee Korps (im Osten). This would not indicate his field unit or uniform, but rather his assignment. My guess is that his unit was performing some sort of patrolling duty in the Etappen and this fellow, got sick or was hurt and thus is convalescing in this temporary detachment.

Chip

Back