Please, soem advise and info about Stahlhelm.

Sorry Otto, Pierre, Max and all the rest who may not understand my hillbilly English. "Jerking your chain" means that I am telling you a lie.
Gus

I just got logged on to the Dagger forum, there is some good stuff there, and worth the time to register.
Gus
Thanks Johan

Probably a commercially made post WW1 helmet

The markings are usually "DRP ang" which stands for Deutsche Reichs Patent angemeldet

(applied for German State patent )

Johan

I have learned alt ftm this thread .Nice pics JS . Welkomw Piere Grande Guerre .
You to GUS :D

Thanks Mark,
What does Zipperheads9 mean, are there 8 other zipperheads out there?
Gus

Zipperheads is a slang term given to a member of an armoured unit .In Canada we wear Black berets fot Armoured Regiments .The field uniforms or AFV suits have zippered pockets insteaf of buttuned ones. I think it is same for the US.
Because of the zippers other Army unit's gave us the slang name of zipperheads .
Like Grunt for Infantry.
Our unit museum has 9 ferret scout cars Cliff and I restored and crewed #8 but I started #9 When I was 14 1/2 as a cadet ,this was also what I was taught to drive in .
As for the term ask Tony how he feels about it ,some do not like it .
As for are there are there 8 other zipperheads out there ,Any Tanker in Canada or Commenwealth can br considered , I think may be even US .
Mark
A ferret is the wheeled armour pic I sent you. Canada used those from 1953 till 1979 . There fast abd low They can get up to 50 MPH ,4 wheel imdepentant suspension and drive ,Special Transmission 5 ahead ans 5 back .
Hope that will put a better lighy on that.
I have roughly 2000 working hour's on them and 10000 hours driving them . You would like them a hoot to drive

Hey Mark,
Great job in turning a stupid question into a great lesson. Is the Ferret an updated version of the Dingo? I guess that would be like asking if the MUTT is and updated version of the MB.
Thanks
Gus

UHHH Yep
I am amused you know what a dingo is (AFV) . It aint even a US vehicle. Sorry did not mean to carry that on but I love those like a jeep collector ,well you know that one. I got a new camera and will try to take interior photo's .
Mark

Hey Mark,
Interior shots would be nice. Being a jeep person, I do get exposed to the odd MV colector, but my interest has been the earler machines.
Gus

Gustaf said:
PS I am just jerking your chain, I have no idea as the the value of the Vickers helmets, The ones with the white paint are the most common, but even they are not that common, if they were German they would command a high price, but as yet there is not that much demand for the Irish helmets, but I will bet that when the centenial of the Irish independance comes around, they will be in great demand.

A "complete" helmet is especially hard to find. There were only about 10,000 helmets produced. Many were repainted white and many more were destroyed by the Irish Army in the 1980s.

I have one with the original paint, and if you look at it in the sunlight you can see that it is a dark shade of green. The paint was a green color originally and it reacted badly with the metal and turned almost black. But in the right light you can see that it is in fact green.

I bought my helmet and spent a couple of years tracking down a badge. I had heard that there was a small cache of badges discovered. The interesting thing is that when I got the badge it didn't fit the helmet slots on the front. BUT then I saw another original example that had been in a collection for 20 years with a badge. They're identical so I do believe my badge to be good. The interesting thing... this other badge appeared to have been filed down.

My theory is that the badges, which were produced in Ireland, didn't fit the helmets, which were made by Vickers. Thus most of the helmets never got a badge. Only the officer helmet had the badges as someone had to file down the prongs. Anyway, I did have a friend file mine down. While some might not agree it makes for a great display and just makes the helmet complete.

Regimentals had a complete Irish Vickers helmet with badge for about $900. My helmet has a better liner and now the badge. I was offered $1200 for my helmet and turned it down.

JS said:
Probably a commercially made post WW1 helmet

The markings are usually "DRP ang" which stands for Deutsche Reichs Patent angemeldet

(applied for German State patent )

Johan

Hmmm? That is very interesting. I guess you and are I on the same page that it could be a commerically made helmet. Who knows who may have used it!

Back