Police helmets and headgear.

If you guys keep this up, I'm going to have to buy a book on Police Helmets and who knows where that will end :oops::unsure:

I can tell you where it would end up. With a room with more helmets and no place to put them. Been there... done that!

Clovis, you might mention that Berlin was classified as a "Special Police Department" who were authorized to do their own research and development so one sees some interesting stuff coming from their Armory and clothing depot. Also, the fact that not every police officer could wear this helmet with the bandeau. Great post!

The proof in pictures :
View attachment 41368
View attachment 41369
These 2 police officers are not wearing traffic control gear, but Feldgrau front uniforms.
Dear Cloclo,
As you know, a lot of police (and firemen) helmets were given to the recruts as the young regiments (RJR 2XX) were formed between the Ende of August and October 1914. Because of lack of equipment at this time and the urgent need for a few 10.000 new recruts to be dressed.
This has been accurately reported in the Regiments Geschichte of the RJR 236 formed at this time. Even Gard, Pionier and Dragoon helmets were used in this classic reserve infantry unit. No matter of this diversity under the Überzug!

1705671147411.png
1705671171041.png

And here is an object-oriented example. A PB16 (with garrison in Metz) Pionier helmet with two names in it, first worn by Offizier Stellvertreter Vizefeldwebel der Reserve Finck (name on the back visor), K.I.A. in the Argonne forest on the 30.9.1914 with 15 of his men. They all were burried a few hours later by their comrades in the forest, their helmets have been taken off their bodies and sent back to the Bekleidungsamt to be used a second time by new recruts.
This helmet has then be sent only 10 days later to the thuringian training camp of Ohrdruf, where the RJR236 moved on the 14.10.14 to the battle fields of Ypern. His second wearer, Unteroffizier Gotthard Mohs, 4/RJR236 applied his rank, name, company and unit in the front visor of helmet. Mohs was taken prisoner on the 7.11.14 between Langemarck and Poelcapelle.

1705679295514.png

1705679361839.png
1705679376727.png
1705679390609.png
1705679407302.png

1705679529829.png
1705679547795.png

1705679595474.png

This pict is showing the grave of the first wearer, Offizierstellvertreter Finck. His body has been transfered after the war from his forest grave to the german war cemetery of Servon-Melzicourt. A retranscription error occurred in his name at this time (Fink).

1705679975947.png

1705680012909.png

Philippe

Attachments

• 1705679268038.png
    1705679268038.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Yes, an excellent example of the refurbishment and re-issue of helmets (and equipment).

Since the title of this thread is "Police helmets and headgear" I thought I would add this police cap showing some changes over a long period of use and wear.

This Bavarian Gendarmerie peaked cap would have changed over time and could have been worn without a chin strap prior to the end of WWI or during the time of the Weimar Republic. It does show evidence of having a leather chin strap during its period of use (holes for buttons). If you will look closely at this cap you will also see another set of holes on either side of the Bavarian cockade. That is because this particular cap continued to be worn until the police were nationalized and given new uniforms after 1936. So, this transitional cap, at one time, had an early Model 1934 Polizei eagle and swastika within a wreath of laurel replace the white/blue Bavarian cockade. I restored this cap to its original condition, to better match a uniform time period, by replacing the NS Zeit insignia with an original Bavarian cockade placed through the original holes. Either configuration would be correct as both sets of insignia have been worn on this particular cap during its period of use.

Also notice that the cap was manufactured in Deggendorf located in the Bavarian forest area. Bear in mind that the German Gendarmerie became the Landjagerei during the time of the Weimar Republic and then reverted to its original designation as the Gendarmerie during the NS Zeit. You might also look at the early style of the cap made with a rather wide, or tall, band and a soft top piped in red (hochrote).

Attachments

• Bav Gend cap label.JPG
    Bav Gend cap label.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Bav Gend cap.JPG
    Bav Gend cap.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Bav Gend cap side.JPG
    Bav Gend cap side.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Bav Gend cap 2.JPG
    Bav Gend cap 2.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Bav Gend cap interior.JPG
    Bav Gend cap interior.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 6
Hello Shupo,
Thank you for sharing. Yes, I've added "headgear" or "hairstyles" for Shako and caps.
Hello Rheiny,
It's a very interesting document, putting down in writing what we've seen in practice.
Well done for the history of this PB16. I'm very interested in the history of this battalion, because I worked for 5 years in its garrison barracks in Metz, which became the Zonal Prefecture.

Last edited:
Thank you. This style of cap is shown as a "Klappmutze" as opposed to a stiff saddle shape "Shirmmutze" or a round "Tellerform" peaked cap or an earlier style "Steife Dienstmutze." At any rate a regulation style cap that remained in wear.

This is a police helmet from a town in the Reichsland (Elsaß-Lothringen). (Strasbourg, Mulhouse, Metz, Thionville etc...) As the Reichsland was an annexed territory, it was somewhat comparable to the colonies in East Asia or South West Africa. So in this case, the Reichskokarde is black-white-red, with the imperial crown closed by W for Kaiser Wilhelm.
View attachment 41327
In this case, it is the Imperial crown inspired by the Holy Roman Empire, not the Prussian royal crown.

View attachment 41328View attachment 41329View attachment 41330View attachment 41331
The Schell is typical of a police helmet, with nickel silver trim front and back, Extra-Helm cap with battlements and standard police crest, pike with small nickel silver ball.

3 Schutzmannschaft in METZ.
View attachment 41335

Schutzmannschaft in Strasbourg (Elsass)
View attachment 41336
To be followed by the Berlin police.

I saw this one at Fort de la Pompelle but in Ersatz...with Grey metal fitting..

Attachments

• 20240120_145915.jpg
    20240120_145915.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240120_145920.jpg
    20240120_145920.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
I saw this one at Fort de la Pompelle but in Ersatz...with Grey metal fitting..
Hello,
Yes, what the Germans call Kriegsmetal, meaning that instead of nickel silver, the fittings are made of nickel-plated (or gold-plated) zinc. Over time, the silver or gold film fades, and the zinc takes on a matte-gray patina.

Chance is sometimes surprising: 2 Bavarian police helmets, in the space of 2 weeks !!!! P1010194.JPGP1010195.JPGP1010196.JPG
The liner is typical of Bavarian Raupenhelm: the "wolf's teeth" are not rounded, but shaped like the ace of spades.
P1010197.JPG
This time, the small cross-shaped tip is more in keeping with police helmet standards. The tip is fluted, as on M1886 military helmets, but in nickel silver and reduced in size. The faceplate is further removed from that of the army, especially as it lacks the "In Treue Fest" motto banner.
P1010187.JPGP1010192.JPG

Attachments

• P1010195.JPG
    P1010195.JPG
    831.1 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010194.JPG
    P1010194.JPG
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Nice! I really like the fluted spike and the plain leather chin strap.

Congratulations. It is sometimes feast or famine with me too.

Back