police spike helmets in use at the front

stuka f

Discussion came up on several occasions....
Here is a other "proof".
The helmet was found in France Aisne and Oise region.
The helmet should have been a Hamburg city police officer...

here's a photo

12033995.jpg

12033996.jpg

12033997.jpg

12034000.jpg

Sergei.....you can restore that helme ????? I would like to know how it can be done.

There were actually quite a few of them in 1914. It stands to reason that there must have been others. The very very best picture I have seen came from Brett's collection and is featured in the book – The Great War Dawning. The mobilizations of late 1914 are most interesting. But there were others as late as 1916 I am aware of. What we do not know is a listing of which units and why.

ps1111 by joerookery, on Flickr

Joe, could it be that these were police / Beamte who belonged to the same unit and just wore their civilian 'duty' helmets when activated?

:D Ron

Ron,

I don't think they were limited to police. I think there were a lot of different organizations that used helmets. That may have used them at the front. Not Beamte as they would have a wartime job anyway.

ps981c by joerookery, on Flickr

ps981b by joerookery, on Flickr

Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 38
R
Aufgestellt in Schweidnitz (R.Stb., I., II.) und Glatz (III.) Unterstellung: Festungsbesatzung Breslau, 21. L.I.Brig.
Kommandeur:Oberstleutnant v. Roos 15.10.14

One of the questions I got this morning produced this picture. It is a bit of a mystery as I am not sure what exactly this guy is.

Hamburg.jpg

I know he is not a railway guy as the uniform of the Hamburg railroad was different.
ps1860 by joerookery, on Flickr

I know he is not customs or zoll as that helmet was completely different.

hamburg%20zoll_1.jpg

Because of the ball on top I think he might be a fireman like this guy.

ps1107 by joerookery, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Joe, I don't know the answer to your question, but the collar insignia make me think instinctively of something to do with communications-post, telegraph, telephones?

Patrick

Wow, it just gets more and more complicated......I had no idea that firemen could wear a ball top helmet!! Why?? There is no association between fire and canon balls.

b.loree said:
Wow, it just gets more and more complicated......I had no idea that firemen could wear a ball top helmet!! Why?? There is no association between fire and canon balls.

More examples

0223-225.jpg

.I had no idea that firemen could wear a ball top helmet!! Why?? There is no association between fire and canon balls.

That's why early on I really focused on catalogs. I wanted to see what was available. There are all sorts of crossovers and especially if we think about student societies. The first book we put out was a reprint of two different catalogs. It is still in print and in my opinion – of course I am biased – I think it's a real treasure trove of information about helmets – what was available and what were the services that could be contracted for. Converting helmets was big business.

book1cov.jpg

http://www.authorhouse.com/Bookstore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=38699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a copy Joe, I will have to go back and look at it again. Thanks for the foto Sergei.

b.loree said:

https://www.weitze.net/detail/91/Baden_Pickelhaube_fuer_einen_Feuerwehr_Kommandanten__132091.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good one Brad! In addition to these not having crowns the motto underneath the Griffin is also different.

joerookery said:
Ron,

I don't think they were limited to police. I think there were a lot of different organizations that used helmets. That may have used them at the front. Not Beamte as they would have a wartime job anyway.

ps981b by joerookery, on Flickr

Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 38
R
Aufgestellt in Schweidnitz (R.Stb., I., II.) und Glatz (III.) Unterstellung: Festungsbesatzung Breslau, 21. L.I.Brig.
Kommandeur:Oberstleutnant v. Roos 15.10.14

Like I said, still learning and I get info. mixed up sometimes. One day, I'll get it all straight in my head! I have one of these helmets in my collection (they seem to be pretty common) as well as one from the Rhineland without a crown (a koffer helm, with the spike that unscrews right at the base), which I always thought to be post-WWI. I'll post photos when I can.

Well, here are the photos I promised:

I found this with the Prussian enlisted cockade only and have always been suspicious of it. Now, I'm not so sure. You can see there's a little damage to the chin scales, but this helmet has never been taken apart by me. It also has the early officer 'tabbed' liner.

I got this one from a Harley rider acquaintance way back when. Standard officer liner, size 58 or so and as you can see, no imperial trappings on the Wappen. Too bad about the damaged enamel on the Rheinland crest. Oh well! :)

The reason that so many of these have "officer" features is that it seems to me that most of them are offered in catalogs for private purchase only. So much to be learned from catalogs.

Back