Post anatomy

joerookery

Sounds like graduate school!

This has buzzed around my head for a while. I have no answers and I solicit your opinion.

Everyone likes the old-style posts that are easy to recognize.
post1.jpg

In general, they tend to be short and fat and have a coarse thread. Sometimes they are soldered to a crosspiece and the top of the post is often cut by some sort of snip.

post2.jpg

However, there are Wappen out there with thin and long posts that are obviously machined. Numerous collectors have looked at some of these Wappen and swear they are original -- good detail -- gilding -- thin edges.

post3.jpg

These helmets were produced and sold commercially through at least 1932. There was great demand from veterans organizations and others. What do you think? Are the machined posts legitimate for later produced pickelhaube?

joerookery said:
Sounds like graduate school!

This has buzzed around my head for a while. I have no answers and I solicit your opinion.

Everyone likes the old-style posts that are easy to recognize.

In general, they tend to be short and fat and have a coarse thread. Sometimes they are soldered to a crosspiece and the top of the post is often cut by some sort of snip.

Hi Joe

I like and search these kinds of posts....not the the others...

Tony & Kaiser said:
monfort said:
I like and search these kinds of posts....not the the others...

Ah-ahem. :-$ Je recherche aussi mon ami!

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/smiles/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi Tony

Let's share the world in 2 parts: North Ameica for you, Europe for me (even if I am dealing with T Cowan...). Do you agree?

monfort said:
Let's share the world in 2 parts: North Ameica for you, Europe for me (even if I am dealing with T Cowan...). Do you agree?
Eric, almost everything I buy for my collection, comes from Germany. That is the problem when my WANT LIST is down to only a few items. Most items I want, I cannot find in Canada or the USA. T

Hi Joe,
I remember a discussion about a gentleman in Germany that made reproduction helmet plates that were so good that they were very hard to tell from the originals. I asked him how collectors could tell his from the originals. His reply was that his mounting screws were thin compared to the real deal and they were machined. So would you pay big bucks for a helmet that the majority of collectors would question? Real or not I would avoid these like the plague!!! Bill

Back