Pre 1879 Mecklenburg Schwerin Other ranks Pickelhaube

tony v

Hi,

Well it's been a very exciting September in terms of collecting Mecklenburg militaria for me. I bagged a Mecklenburg
Strelitz reservists plate at a show at the end of August and followed that up with a trip to Northern Germany, a visit to Schwerin Castle and then advanced into Hamburg to pick up this pickelhaube.

It's pre 1879, I think, as it has the clover spike base still and the cockade is sheet metal. Note the detachable ball for attaching the parade trichter. No visible unit markings to state if it is IR 89 or 90.

Attached are couple of pictures of the Schwerin Schloss and the garden statue of Friedrich Franz II, sadly it wasn't his helmet I got !

cheers Tony

Attachments

• sch3.jpg
    sch3.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 59
  • sch12.jpg
    sch12.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 45
  • sch11.jpg
    sch11.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 46
  • sch10.jpg
    sch10.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 48
  • sch9.jpg
    sch9.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 51
  • sch8.jpg
    sch8.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 50
  • sch7.jpg
    sch7.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 60
  • sch6.jpg
    sch6.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 64
  • sch5.jpg
    sch5.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 65
  • scw2.jpg
    scw2.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 57
  • schw1.jpg
    schw1.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 61
  • sch4.jpg
    sch4.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 64
Nice, thanks for sharing. BTW, I wasn’t aware the ball atop the spike unscrewed. That’s nice. The other Mecklenburg helmet is also really nice.

Have to say a big shout out to forum members who have helped me out with these tricky Mecklenburg purchases over the years.

They have pointed out some schoolboy errors I made early on and their time, expertise has guided me the three pieces I have today.

I have bought six in total over the years and the first three went back and the last three stayed !

THANK YOU to one and all ! I hope to pay it forward at some point.

happy collecting

Nice, thanks for sharing. BTW, I wasn’t aware the ball atop the spike unscrewed. That’s nice. The other Mecklenburg helmet is also really nice.
That is the same way that the "parade bush" on my British Fifth Dragoon Guards helmet works. Same square post that slides into the spike. I know Prince Albert was involved in the early British helmet design and probably copied this detail from the Germans.

Have to say a big shout out to forum members who have helped me out with these tricky Mecklenburg purchases over the years.

They have pointed out some schoolboy errors I made early on and their time, expertise has guided me the three pieces I have today.

I have bought six in total over the years and the first three went back and the last three stayed !

THANK YOU to one and all ! I hope to pay it forward at some point.

happy collecting
I'll be happy to be that newbie member you would like to "Pay if forward with." ;)

Best Regards,
JustinG

, I wasn’t aware the ball atop the spike unscrewed.
In fact, on this "tuliped" point the ball is unscrewed for the GR89 (Schwerin Battalions) and remains fixed for the FR90 which did not have a Haarbusch.

Hello Tony,
A beautiful and rare helmet. I also like the particularity of Mecklenburg helmets.
On the other hand, the round visor, with the cruciform base of the tip, annoys me. The M68 infantry helmet had a round visor and the same tip but with a round base, and the M68 Schwerin Dragon helmet had a square visor and the same tip but with a cruciform base.
Here we have a mix of the two, as on some gendarmerie helmets.

Hello Tony,
A beautiful and rare helmet. I also like the particularity of Mecklenburg helmets.
On the other hand, the round visor, with the cruciform base of the tip, annoys me. The M68 infantry helmet had a round visor and the same tip but with a round base, and the M68 Schwerin Dragon helmet had a square visor and the same tip but with a cruciform base.
Here we have a mix of the two, as on some gendarmerie helmets.
Thanks for your insight and comments on the mix and match nature of the spike base and visor. It is something I can live with and the plate looks as if it's never been off the helmet.

Back