Pre 1897 Prussian NCO

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I got this helmet about a month ago, it is a nice example of a pre 1897 NCO private purchase piece. Note, that as a pre 1897 piece, it has only a single Prussian NCO kokarde. The flat M91 style chin scales are in excellent condition as is the liner.
IMG_0286.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg
IMG_0290.jpeg
Note: an economy model with unlined visors.

I got this helmet about a month ago, it is a nice example of a pre 1897 NCO private purchase piece. Note, that as a pre 1897 piece, it has only a single Prussian NCO kokarde. The flat M91 style chin scales are in excellent condition as is the liner.
View attachment 36990
View attachment 36991
View attachment 36992
Note: an economy model with unlined visors.
The pair of hook on chin straps are a big plus
The Kokard is for an NCO , so would the inside of the visors
be lined ??
Thanks
Steve

Steve, there were also enlisted men helmets available for private buyers. So the visors are correct in my opinion.
According to the Neumann catalog helmets were available in 3 qualities. In the lowest quality the helmets had a private purchase liner and the undersides of the visors were just leather or covered only with painted paper.

Thanks everyone, I am very happy to have this in my collection, it is the first M91 scaled helmet that I have ever owned. Yes T, I like the old red brick background as well. My home dates from 1920 and this is the original red clay brick on the exterior. 👍

Thank you Arran and Rem for your comments. It is ironic I guess that after 40+ years of collecting this, is my first M91 chin scale helmet. Additionally, I have no correctly marked OR helmet to a Napoleonic Bandeau Regt. However I do have their wappen in that part of the collection. As a collector, one has to accept that patience is a virtue and you never know what will become available. My initial JR 115 helmet bought 40 years ago now has 4 others along side it from that Dutchy.

Back